Discuss Radiator Efficiency Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

General enquiry.
How come Wickes radiators claim the highest BTU efficiency.
Is there any benefit in going for brand such as Stelrad??

I assume you mean 'efficiency' in terms of output in W/m2?
I don't know, but I have some ideas:

1. Testing is being performed under traditional British test conditions, not EN442. The EU standard is now Delta T 50, which is now also the UK standard. In short, this means that the average radiator temperature is 70°C (flow at 80, return at 60) and the room temperature 20°C for the purposes of testing, so the difference is 50°, and that the radiator is plumbed in with connections top and bottom at the same end. Ancient British method assumed a 60° difference under test conditions, which makes the result far different. Additionally, plumbing it in different configurations such as Bottom Opposite End and Top Bottom Opposite End makes subtle differences to output.

2. Imported radiators with made-up standards of testing.

3. Wickes radiators genuinely have higher outputs per surface area.

Generally the higher prices radiators are better finished and have better paint finish, less visible spot welds and nicer detailing. The cheaper ones can be lighter, so thinner steel (may last not so long if good and sufficient inhibitor is not used), but will still heat your room. Fitted cheap Screwfix rads in my mother's house in around 2009 which worked well at least until after she sold the house three years later, though they didn't feel very solid.

With opting for a known brand you are also more likely to be able to replace with, or add to a system with identical radiators. Or if you lose a bracket when decorating or doing renovations you can often just obtain same.
But with some unknown, here today, gone tomorrow brands, you might find different.
I agree the quality can show in the build of the better rads.

wickes rads are made by quinn/barlow i think. they make the best pound for pound output radiators. think they call it generation 3 of radiator design. Less water with more fins etc....

Oh yes, the generation 3. More efficient, defined in terms of heat output per kg of steel used in the manufacture. From QRL literature, not just my cynicism.

No meaningful gain in efficiency that would particularly make me want to scrap even a generation 1 unfinned panel radiator if it were correctly-sized and watertight. However, if you need to buy a radiator, a generation 3 is probably a very good choice.

In any case, if you have a modern condensing boiler, you will get the most efficiency by fitting very high output radiators, balancing the system at 80/60°C and then running it at a lower temperature (thus reducing the output) so as to ensure the boiler is always running in condensing mode.

Reply to Radiator Efficiency Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back