Discuss Questions about installing a thermostat for traditional boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

• I've a traditional, non combi boiler. (with a hot water tank)
  • I've an immersion heater.
  • I've no central heating thermostat.
  • I have a manual thermostat attached on the boiler which I suspect is the water temperature but i'm not sure
How much of a task is it to install a brand new smart thermostat (for the central heating)? Is it even possible?

(Disclaimer I am not a plumber, I am a customer who knows nothing about plumbing)

Last edited:
Do you have a programmer? (Timings for your hot water/heating)

Do you have zone valves/mid position valve?

A picture of your cyclinder cupboard may answer this if you're unsure.

If you have these it wouldn't be much of a task, a lot of wireless options available nowadays

Do you have a programmer? (Timings for your hot water/heating)

Do you have zone valves/mid position valve?

A picture of your cyclinder cupboard may answer this if you're unsure.

If you have these it wouldn't be much of a task, a lot of wireless options available nowadays
Hi Bill, thanks for replying.

OK I took a look and i've the following:

1) Drayton HTS3 cylinder stat
2) Drayton LP241 programmer
3) this monstrosity. ( the green thing says Wilo gold 50 on it)
upload_2018-11-27_20-14-38.png

does this give you any idea if it's possible?

Really easy some even have the same backplate.
Wow great! So is the job to replace the programmer unit with a "smart" one, and job done?!

P.s. do I have a "mid position valve" as bill asked?

Edit: does this also mean I can finally have a "wireless thermostat" as opposed to no thermostat?

Last edited:
Wow great! So is the job to replace the programmer unit with a "smart" one, and job done?!

P.s. do I have a "mid position valve" as bill asked?

Edit: does this also mean I can finally have a "wireless thermostat" as opposed to no thermostat?
Yes mate you do have a y plan system.

Look at the twin channel hive thermostat

This epidemic of “ smart “ controls isnt needed IMO , just put a Honeywell 6360 room stat on your system and tell everyone you have an app for it.
Thanks I'll look that up, smart isn't necessarily what I'll go for but my energy costs so much I need to see what I can do clever to save £££

I think if I can get something which:

• gave me the control to turn on or off from outside the home
  • gave me a thermostat
I'd save some money compared to today

You need the control within your home , the on / off away from home unless you work weird shifts not knowing when you will be home isnt needed IMO , if you have a well insulated home it is cheaper to turn the heating down (ie just take the chill off ) not turn it off .

You need the control within your home , the on / off away from home unless you work weird shifts not knowing when you will be home isnt needed IMO , if you have a well insulated home it is cheaper to turn the heating down (ie just take the chill off ) not turn it off .
I'm not sure I'm able to turn it down though,at least I don't know how to do it

Can I buy a smart programmer together with a thermostat?

Start again mate , are you fine with your programmer coming on at set times every day , i.e do you generally go to work , go out etc etc at the same times throughout your normal week , if you do , IMO you just need a room stat .
If you work stupid shifts , go out loads at different times , dont come home the odd night etc etc then go for a app type system , nest , hive , lyric etc etc.

Reply to Questions about installing a thermostat for traditional boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back