Search the forum,

Discuss Question for plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My new neighbour moved in 2 years ago and had all new pipes and since then they complain they can’t shower if our hosepipe is on and our pipes bang like hell the early hours of every morning. We have had plumbers out but didn’t think it was anything to do with neighbours until now? Could this be possible??

Parents had a similar issue. In the summer when next door had his sprinkler on you couldn't use the shower upstairs. Had water board out, who monitored the pressure over a week but also found that during maintenance that a valve had been shut in the road at one end of the street. This resulted them being last on the line as the water was having to come from the opposite end.

Worth a phone call to get them to monitor your incoming pressure, however like others have said if you are on a shared main you have no chance really.

It’s one of those silly rules that also covers turning off the mains to a non paying customer

Hmmm, I've done this numerous times, always asked the neighbours permission of course. But what are you supposed to do for maintenance, call the local water authority?

Same as Craig tell them first / ask permission/ give them a heads up

Then turn off

Turn off at the utility water stop
We are not supposed to do this.

Huh !

Anyway, I have most of the water keys which fit the road taps and the water meter ones are easy.

So I just get on with it. Its often
better than moving piles of carp
or kitchen stuff.

I get the odd gusher when the guts come out the top cause the valve is seized or it will stop down ..but no one has ever
pushed back from any utility
against moi

Rob Foster ...centralheatking

What do you mean not supposed to do this? Is that true, we're not supposed to turn off shared stop taps?

We're not supposed to turn off the supply using the valve in the road. Where I live at least, the valve belongs to the water board, not you or the customer. I'm supposed to call out the water board to come switch off the main in the road but I don't know any plumber who actually does that.

The only worry is if they break whilst I'm turning it. That has happened to me a couple of times and that's when I ask them to come turn it off, play totally ignorant, they find it's knackered and fix it!

Since I have access to an electric pipe freezer I never need to turn off in the road any more.

Reply to Question for plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock