Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Question about opentherm in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Husk24

Husk24 Member

hi guys

Im thinking of buying a nest thermostat. I am aware my boiler is opentherm compatible. Im particularly interested in the way the boiler runs using opentherm. After installing this thermostat I decide do not like the way opentherm works, would it be easy as switching opentherm off from the nest settings or will it be wired in a way I would have to get it re-wired/changed?

2. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

The second one mate

3. Husk24

Husk24 Member

Damn

4. Husk24

Husk24 Member

Is is more efficient cheaper to run it via opentherm?

5. Harvest Fields

Depends on your house and how warm you like it. (It is more complicated than that, but very long winded)

6. gingalig

gingalig GSR

It's designed to interlink as an open therm device. It baffles me as to why anyone would want to do anything different. You will have a huge scope of settings to tailor the outputs and timings to pretty much any of your requirements.

7. Husk24

Husk24 Member

I guess the option to use ‘true radiant settings’ on the nest would be just as good.

8. Husk24

Husk24 Member

@gingalig@gingalig

So you would definitely recommend opentherm?

9. Harvest Fields

No I would recommend ebus. But your boiler probably doesn’t support it if it has opentherm.

10. gingalig

gingalig GSR

Your installer will look very confused if you try and suggest anything different, and would probably charge considerably more if they agreed to do it. If you really want more control or savings maybe consider evo home or drayton wiser. Nests are good though and very user friendly.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  11. Knappers

Knappers Plumber GSR

If you have an opentherm compatible boiler and wiring so you can connect nest with opentherm (bus) then do it - no brainer.
    Worry about the technical side later but you will have greater control over the boiler and the option not to use the advanced features, not using opentherm downgrades the nest to a very nice and fancy on and off switch.

12. Husk24

Husk24 Member

I have a ideal logic system 30 boiler, a month old, can someone confirm it will definitely be opentherm compatible with all the connections or what ever is required

13. gingalig

gingalig GSR

If you use a nest installer or alternatively a GSR then they will make all the necessary wiring connections and bring any other equipment required.

• Like Like x 1
  14. garygvl

garygvl GSR

sorted out your heating problem then

15. Husk24

Husk24 Member

I have a new boiler now, but the thermostat given has issues as per my other thread, doesn’t work all the time, I have even started thinking if it interferes with my cars sensor as they both run on the same frequency! It seems to work ok when my car is not at home (when im away) lol