Search the forum,

Discuss Question about Combi Boiler external expension vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello.

We have a Heatline C28 combination boiler that has been leaking water & going over pressure. It was recently diagnosed that the leak was coming from the 3 way diverter valve & that the pressure problems was been caused due to problem with the expansion vessel. The person who looked at it was recommended by a heating/plumbing shop down the road & he is going to be doing the work on it tomorrow.

In order to not cost us a fortune he said it would be easier/cheaper to fit an external pressure vessel rather than having to take the boiler off the wall to get to the existing one.
Our boiler is fitted on the wall in the bathroom & it was felt that putting the new expansion vessel on the pipe here could be a problem & the only other place where you can access the pipes going to/from the boiler is in a cupboard in the living room downstairs.

My dad seems to think this is fine but my mother gets quite worried about things and she wants to know if this is a safe thing to do & if it's going to cause any other problems given how it's fairly far away from the boiler itself & been in the living room she is worried about potential noise & if it's an additional safety concern so I told her i'd do some research to find out.

However I can't find anything anywhere about an external expansion vessel been placed away from the boiler so thought I woudl post here to see if anyone has any information.

Many thanks.

Your engineer is quite correct a replacement exp vessel can go anywhere and generic ones are way cheaper than bespoke ones. Do not fear however the higher up the better but it does not really matter while he is there get the boiler serviced it makes sense check chemicals strength and clean the filter Rob Foster
aka centralheatking

Thanks for the reply.

Engineer came today & fitted the expansion vessel downstairs & did the work on the boiler including a service, Bleeding the radiators & trying to balance the system.

So far it all seems OK although some of the radiators are getting too hot to touch & the thermostat valves on the radiators themselves don't make much difference (They either seem to be off or far too hot) so I will turn the temperature down on the boiler itself. It's Currently on e but i think we usually have it on the next lowest setting so i'll do that.

Your engineer is quite correct a replacement exp vessel can go anywhere and generic ones are way cheaper than bespoke ones. Do not fear however the higher up the better but it does not really matter while he is there get the boiler serviced it makes sense check chemicals strength and clean the filter Rob Foster
aka centralheatking
Not technically true. Should be on the return as close to the boiler as possible.

Reply to Question about Combi Boiler external expension vessel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
My Grant combi oil boiler is giving me quite a headache at the moment. When I returned home last Friday I'd no heating or hot water. An engineer called the next day and diagnosed a faulty pressure switch. This was changed and everything seemed ok. However then the boiler began to lose pressure...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and plasterboard celling. I have got unvented pressurized RM Cylinders hot water system with 27KW Worchester gas boiler with expansion vessels . When...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hello The heating side of my Ariston Combi A23 has stopped working since a new 3 way valve has been installed. It's been a hugely reliable boiler up until now with regular servicing. When the heating is turned on the boiler ignites and looks to start up but then a few seconds in, knocking sounds...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock