Search the forum,

Discuss Pump nut spanner, any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
www.toolbank.com | 2040G Pump Nut Spanner 52mm A/F

I'm thinking about getting one of these. I like using grips etc just not on pump valves. I have a set of stilsons that fit well but I would rather use a spanner.

I had a nerrad super wide jaw which was ok providing the valves were not too seized but Friday night I used that much force I snapped it and the nut hadn't moved 1mm. Won't be getting another.

Anyone recommend it, I know it wont be useful for anything other than pump valves but might make the job that much easier.

Thanks

I hate leaving grip marks on pump nuts, but I never have owned or used the proper pump spanner. I use Footprints.
Would be great for tightening up on an all new job, but on a seized up pump you will still need to whack the nuts with a hammer first and perhaps cut, split & remove seized nuts & replace with new nuts.
Maybe handy on a pump where there is little space

16mm wood chisel free from Williams and a tap with a hammer. I did have the one from toolstation but no good for anything seized, which is why I snapped them.

Not surprised by the replies. I have a set of footprints which have come in handy. I might get this spanner, as already said it might come in handy if there's not much space but probably only any good on new nuts or nuts that are not seized.

Have one myself.
Does not need to come out very often but it is still handy to have for the right stubborn jobs where a few whacks on the end with a club hammer usually does trick.

Great tool but bigger than you might think so if space around the pump is limited then unlikely to help. Have not showed it to a pump valve it hasn't shifted but sometimes shifting just means spinning the pump. Will never understand why pump manufacturers don't provide a proper point to hold the pump. Some cast flats above one of the 1" 1/2 threads would do to give you leverage in the opposite direction or just to hold the pump stationary while freeing the nuts. They all make a point of stating not to hold the pump by its head on undoing or doing up but don't design a proper alternative.

Last edited:
The only good thing about Myson pumps is the had a hole in the back to stick an old screwdriver through to hold against yourself.
Never had a pump spanner and i doubt if i ever will.

i use 12" cobras. dont slip if on the right setting. use stillys too if they happen to be closer

handy, perhaps a bit on the large side, always seem to find pumps in tight space, I have one of the small clamp type, fits around nut, so that you can hit it with hammer without damaging brass nut, not seen them around for a wile maybe gone off the market or on ebay

I once totaled a hot water cylinder trying to remove the heating element with an immersion heater box spanner with a length of conduit on the end for extra leverage.:blush5:

Last edited:
yes nice to have but you can go on and on adding job specific tools the majority of which will wind up in the back of the shed

Crescent grips is all I use if they are seized I get the blow lamp out and heat the nut which gets most of them, if that doesn't work then hammer and chisel then hack saw.

not that i do many now but most are on rubber washers and i dont have much trouble with pumps now trick i use is two hammers opposite each other seems to do the trick

Ridgid E110 offset wrench, brilliant on CH pumps and much else.
Offset makes jaws deepen as they open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump nut spanner, any good? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock