Search the forum,

Discuss Public liability insurance advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys, I was self empolyed not now I'm now got a full time payee job! but my public liability insurance will be running out end of this month. How does it work for updating my public insurance?
But I still keep my self employed business open for carrying out existing customers gas work that I do every so often. Cheers

Work done for your employer should be covered by their insurance (check they have PL and EL)
YOur sE work will need its own insurance ie renew what you've got

hi guys, I was self empolyed not now I'm now got a full time payee job! but my public liability insurance will be running out end of this month. How does it work for updating my public insurance?
But I still keep my self employed business open for carrying out existing customers gas work that I do every so often. Cheers

I was in a similar position and asked the brokers if I could get it cheaper, as the insurance company exposure was dramatically smaller. The answer was an emphatic NO.

TBH, I don’t go a great deal of private work now, and don’t bother with insurance. But that is a personal choice, and mist mishaps are not worth claiming for anyway. It is just the big one.....

Just as a note: The earlier responses use the word “need”. PLI is not actually required - even GasSafe do not demand it to be on the register.

I was in a similar position and asked the brokers if I could get it cheaper, as the insurance company exposure was dramatically smaller. The answer was an emphatic NO.

TBH, I don’t go a great deal of private work now, and don’t bother with insurance. But that is a personal choice, and mist mishaps are not worth claiming for anyway. It is just the big one...

Just as a note: The earlier responses use the word “need”. PLI is not actually required - even GasSafe do not demand it to be on the register.

If your willing to be not insured that’s upto you but I would always recommend a trades person always has insurance

TBH if you are doing small private work ..not gas..then as long as your niche customers understand then any screw up
which gets out of hand might well be covered by their insurance anyway..rock on
in my opinion. Rob Foster

What post?

As I said, Inverness asked me if I meant that it is not worth bothering with PLI if you are part time. I responded by saying (short version!) that I have turned down jobs based on having no PLI, such as a gas fire and long run in my local pub, and that it may be daft to fit a UV cylinder in a 3rd floor flat with no PLI. And that the repercussions of an "odd job" going wrong is the same as one of many. But, ultimately, you make the decision, and stand by the risk. If it was just my post that has gone missing, I would assume that I cocked up, as I do regularly when using the phone but his post has gone AWOL as well.

Last edited:

Reply to Public liability insurance advise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock