Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss ptfe tape or no ptfe tape? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Rob876

Rob876 Member

What's best on compression fittings - ptfe tape? A compound? Just the olive?

2. Pickwickpick

Pickwickpick Plumber

I just use the olive, if fitted properly you shouldn't need anything else imo. Then there's the numptys that put ptfe on the thread of compression fittings which bugs me!

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Search PTFE in the search area top right.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I always use a few wraps of ptfe round the olive

• Like Like x 1
  5. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

I always use paste. It acts as a fine sealant and also lubricates, so will help when you compress the joint.
    Ptfe wrapped over olive a few turns will help seal well, but the tape gets cut and I would then be wary that water can still passs the olive

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. offgridman

offgridman New Member

Didn't used to bother with PTFE until we started getting some olives made of crap material (the first of the Chinese I think), so started then.
    Always use if having to remake a joint using old olive, although since getting a bona fide olive splitter I tend to fit new olives if I can.
    Equally mystified why someone would put tape on the threads of a comp joint.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Craig Watson

Those who put tape round the threads don't understand how the fitting seals.

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

OGM, just remember it's not the Chinese at fault. They make perfect kit - WHEN asked to do so and WHEN allowed (through price) to do so. It's carp because BUYERS do not wish to pay for quality.
    It's no different to our job. When a customer pays for a good job they get a good job. When they pay peanuts they get rubbish!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Probably expert bathroom installers. :)

Some folk know that ptfe tape is called “thread sealing tape”, so they use it on threads, - all threads.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. John.g

John.g Active Member

Some say that a turn or two of tape on the threads acts as a lubricant and makes it easier to tighten the nut.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  11. offgridman

offgridman New Member

Agreed. If stuff is supplied on basis of price only, that is what happens. What got me was the dodgy olives came from my normal supplier who is usually quality aware.
    Not worth fitting cheap stuff. Just been out to sort an expensive Mira shower with its filter blocked by shards of chrome plating from the shiny but cheap compression fittings used on the pipework to it. Not my install, I hasten to add.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

And some people are idiots

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. garygvl

garygvl GSR

its definitely fish night

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Only will make it tighter to turn I would think

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Craig Watson

When did a nut become difficult to tighten?

• Agree Agree x 3