Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss ptfe alternative??? ______________ in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Loubanez

Loubanez New Member

Hi all,
    Ive fit a cast iron radiator in my living room, at the flow and return there are two 11/4 to 1/2 reducing bushes, they're both dripping when the system is filled, I've wrapped the threads with a liberal amount of ptfe but to no avail, is they're anything else I could use?
    It's becoming a real pain in the a***.
    Cheers.

2. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Loctite 55 will seal them, video on how to use it on you tube

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

or 577 , boss white and hemp

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Loubanez

Loubanez New Member

Thanks,
    Can I get either of these products from screwfix or anywhere on a Sunday?
    Want to get it sorted tomorrow.
    Thanks again

5. ShaunCorbs

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

You want about 15 turns or more of PTFE on half inch thread, and make sure you wrap it clockwise. Hemp and paste (Boss white/Hawk white (or other Boss/Hawk if you can't get the previous) is better though, as is Loctite 55, as has been stated above.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/select-products-hemp-pipe-thread-packer-sealer-80g/9321k

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-hawk-white-jointing-compound-400g/69694

Look up how to use it on youtube. You need to tease out a few fibres and wrap them thinly and paste over them. Do not paste before you apply the hemp and always apply in a clockwise direction.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  7. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Ptfe will seal the 1 1/4” threads but you will need a lot of wraps. And I would vouch for Boss White paste also.

8. ShaunCorbs

might be me but i paste first then apply the hemp and put a tiny bit of paste on the join / end of the emp to stop it undoing

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Loubanez

Loubanez New Member

I probably only went round 5 or 6 times,
    I thinking of trying the hemp and paste.

10. ShaunCorbs

thats why need to be at least double that more like tripple

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

That is your problem then, - needs enough ptfe tape to fill the threads. You will feel the bushing becoming very tight to turn once half in if you used enough tape

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Hemp n stag, ye will no have no more of thee leaketh.

13. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber

Hemp and paste is old school, but so are cast-iron rads. So it matches.

Shaun. I was always taught never to paste the thread because 'the water needs to get to the hemp to expand it'; when you think about it, this explanation doesn't make much sense. I did what I was told anyway and it seemed to work. Will have to try your way again and see what I prefer, but my feeling is it is hard to see how much hemp I have put in the threads if they are already smeared.

But even before I was trained and I was putting in a woodburning backboiler, I made it up as I went along and probably pasted before and after and . no leaks. What can I say?: it's good stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Long time since I have used flax (hemp). It is just so old school nowadays and not for a trendy young modern plumber like myself. :)
    Sometimes I would have put Boss White on a strand of flax before I put it on threads.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. turnpin

turnpin Trusted Plumber

LoL trendy young modern plumber indeed ha ha ha...worked with a young Irish boy back in the eighties and he was the only one out of seventy plumbers on a site who stopped a leak on a tank with boss white and hemp and I still remember him saying that the guy who taught him had an expression about make sure you have boss white and hemp in your pocket even if you are going dancing on a Saturday night as you don't know when it might come in handy....Lol..regards Turnpin:)

• Funny Funny x 1

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ptfe tape alternative

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ptfe tape alternative