Search the forum,

Discuss Problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Soulman

Hi all, hoping you good folk can help me out here, my daughters boiler (Glow-worm 20-30RF) was, until switched off / isolated, making one hell of a squealing noise which, by removing the front cover, I discovered was coming from the fan situated at the top of the boiler.

In its present state the boiler refuses to ignite, could this be because the fan is not operating as it should ?. (Possibly too slowly)

I realise that this is now quite an old boiler but until the problem with the fan it was giving reliable / good service, if I were able to source a replacement fan (Any suggestions welcome) do you think that this would bring the boiler back into service / solve the problem ?.

Your help / advice / comments would be much appreciated,

Thank you and regards,
The Soulman.

Yes!

The fan is usually connected to the ignition system. The reason being that on fan flued boilers the exhaust gases don't go out by themselves they need the fan to be working. So they link it into the ignition system, so that it won't go on without the fan working.

There are a few more reasons but that is a basic outline.

You can usually get a replacement part fairly easy for a Glow Worm try "googling" Glow worm spares, Heating Replacement Parts or Curzon, but you have got to be GaSafe registered to fit parts to other peoples boilers or "competent" if its your own boiler.

And competent usually means acs or other qualified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes!

The fan is usually connected to the ignition system. The reason being that on fan flued boilers the exhaust gases don't go out by themselves they need the fan to be working. So they link it into the ignition system, so that it won't go on without the fan working.

There are a few more reasons but that is a basic outline.

You can usually get a replacement part fairly easy for a Glow Worm try "googling" Glow worm spares, Heating Replacement Parts or Curzon, but you have got to be GaSafe registered to fit parts to other peoples boilers or "competent" if its your own boiler.

And competent usually means acs or other qualified.

Ok Bernie, thanks for the reply, unfortunately no joy on the BES website,
aftera a little investigation I believe the part number is 208382, however every boiler spares site I go on either do not have the part listed or, state that it is no longer available.
(Not surprised really, given that it is an old boiler)
Would you (Or anyone else) know where I might be able to source the fan assembly from ?,

Thank you and regards,
The Soulman.

heatingspareparts.com reckon a Saunier Duval ITT-RL 108/0042-3030LH fits.

But check it out.

Most other sites say its not avaliable. But at ÂŁ148 I would be wondering about a new boiler. Don't know if the company is cheap or not. But its something to go on. I must also say I know nothing about the company.

And once again, you are advised it should be a GaSAfe registered person who fit's gas spares.

Good Fortune

since you have allready opened the case of the boiler!!!!!!!!!!
try a skwirt of wd40 with a nozzle on the can to the pinnion bearing of the fan.
did this a couple of years ago and still no problem.

since you have allready opened the case of the boiler!!!!!!!!!!

This is true ,unless registered you should not do this and once caseing removed,fan air pressure switch may not work anyway
try a skwirt of wd40 with a nozzle on the can to the pinnion bearing of the fan.

It is true a squart of wd40 may work and increase fan speed to allow boiler operation,however never use wd40 on a fan because it is a light grease lubricate and the heat from the burner will evaporate it and you end up it a worse siduation,always use a heat resistant oil like a motor oil on a dry fan,if you catch in it in time fan will last a few more years if not a few days,giving you time to order new

Ok guys, thanks for the tips, I'll try a few drops of engine oil and see how it goes,
Regards,
The Soulman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock