Search the forum,

Discuss Problem making 1inch brass female fitting watertight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a couple of 1" brass female connectors on a hot water cylinder. I'm fitting 1" brass to 22mm compression fittings but I'm struggling to make the connection watertight. I have used lots of PTFE tape but it's still leaking very slightly at the joint between the female spcket and the male fitting. Is jointing paste the only solution ?
Thanks

too much ptfe is as bad as too little,too much loctite 55 or any thread sealer can strain the joint, follow the instructions. normally around 8 wraps of ptfe and a swipe of jointing compound will seal the joint.

55 has the number of turns required printed on the tub, plus it hasn't got to go on squarely so it's easier to Apply when insulation is in the way. If I had to guess if say you've either rotated the page the wrong way or not gone round enough or not flat and it has stringed up on the bottom

Last edited:
Buy 2 cylinder unions and save yourself the hastle but a wean with a biscuit rse could get a female iron to seal.

Are you winding the PTFE on in the correct way, if not it will ride up the thread,

Dont use female irons on cylinders, weakens them, use proper cylinder unions.

Ptfe and paste will seal anything.

Many cylinders come with them now eg center brands or you could use albitecs if you want a compression

Buy 2 cylinder unions and save yourself the hastle but a wean with a biscuit rse could get a female iron to seal.
I thought cylinder unions fitted onto male iron fittings ? Such as I have on the hot water coil connections. The cold inlet at the tank base is a female 1" iron though.
I'll try and get some loctite 55 as suggested.
Thanks

The last few i have used needed male irons for hold feed and hot/vent top connection.

The last few i have used needed male irons for hold feed and hot/vent top connection.
Yes the tank has female connectors for the hot feed/vent connections, so needs male irons. Not cylinder unions as suggested by an earlier poster.
The loctite 55 worked a treat, both are dry now
Thanks for all the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem making 1inch brass female fitting watertight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In short: Do suppliers sometimes list BSPT as BSP? I need a tee, 22mm each end with a BSPT in the middle for an expansion vessel to dangle from. Why I think its I've used calipers on the threads and counted them, and the male end sticking out of the vessel is BSPT 3/4 with 14 threads per inch...
Replies
Views
Where the black polyethelene service line enters this particular structure is by far the most freeze-prone area. The structure is an elevated "mini house" with an insulated, heat-taped plenum taking the poly from below frost line up into the space between floor joists. But, power outages...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock