Search the forum,

Discuss Press tool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nostrum

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Looking to purchase a battery press tool for various use. Looking at the following:

REMS accu press - looks heavy and bulky compared to the others, but good value (for a press tool!) and easy to come by.

Milwaukee M18 force logic - more expensive but more compact and good warranty.

Gerberit ACO - can't find anywhere that sells it? Also looks almost identical to the Milwaukee tool but blue?

Looking for first hand experience reviews as opposed to grumpy old men who work on lifeboats with nothing better to comment on!

Also, if anyone knows the price of the fee edit and where it's stocked?

Cheers in advance

REMS jaws are pretty bulky. Working into tight corners is a real problem, even if you buy the 45 degree angled ones.

No experience of using the other brands.

I've noticed they all could be a bit like that compared to end feed. Initially it would be for bigger jobs and plant room gear.
I quite like the look of some of the MLC systems though and wouldn't mind investigating using it for domestic installs as well.
Not sure if it will ever fully replace the standard copper and end feed, but I'm one for trying out new things (shame the same can't be said for the misses)

BSS are selling the REMS unit 15-35mm heads for ÂŁ999.

its abig expense to "try something new"

they are ok for plantrooms etc but nogood for getting under sinks or in tight spaces. We have the rems, Gerberit units for 54mm and both are big ***bersome tools.

We don't go under sinks so I should be ok there.

As said, it's the MLC system I would like to try, as opposed to the press tool itself. Not being funny but anyone can make a joint with a press tool!

They also do a smaller milkwakee M12 crimp up to 42mm which looks very compact. That would probably do me for the time being to be honest. Would hate to have to buy another machine if we need to go bigger, but if they are really bulky then it may have to be that way.

On it like a car bonnet Ray!

I did see this but I'm not to keen on the polybutylene pipe. The MLC holds its shape and can be bent like copper, so would look better on an install.

That said, I haven't seen the price of it yet!

I did see this but I'm not to keen on the polybutylene pipe. The MLC holds its shape and can be bent like copper, so would look better on an install.

Fair point. I haven't ever seen a composite pipe in 15mm though - only in 16mm. Which is damn annoying, when you have a van load of offcuts and can't use any of them on general work.

Until about 7 or 8 years ago, UFCH was often 16mm, but this offcut issue (amongst other things) has catapaulted Polypipe and JG Speedfit to market leadership.

Fair point. I haven't ever seen a composite pipe in 15mm though - only in 16mm. Which is damn annoying, when you have a van load of offcuts and can't use any of them on general work.

Until about 7 or 8 years ago, UFCH was often 16mm, but this offcut issue (amongst other things) has catapaulted Polypipe and JG Speedfit to market leadership.

Yeah each system has its pros and cons. I think tectite have an MLC in standard sizes, but don't use press fit, they use tectite push fittings which can be expensive and fairly bulky.

Last edited:
Looking to purchase a battery press tool for various use. Looking at the following:

REMS accu press - looks heavy and bulky compared to the others, but good value (for a press tool!) and easy to come by.

Milwaukee M18 force logic - more expensive but more compact and good warranty.

Gerberit ACO - can't find anywhere that sells it? Also looks almost identical to the Milwaukee tool but blue?

Looking for first hand experience reviews as opposed to grumpy old men who work on lifeboats with nothing better to comment on!

Also, if anyone knows the price of the fee edit and where it's stocked?

Cheers in advance

for what its worth u ungrateful git, the gerberit is one of the favoured tools round my way, mainly as hss hire them out and its what the locals use, and from chatting to my explumber/merchant who thinks its one of the best bits of kit, mainly coz he sells the matching fittings. but hey ho, i only used it once and found it great for larger pipework but too much of a faff on smaller stuff to warrant the cost

I have the Uponor pres tool.have a word with your local rep, they will do a deal if your going to use a good quantity?
my only issue with press fit is that the fittings greatly reduce the flow rate on the mlc pipe.

As the firm I'm with mainly hire them in I've used most of the brands on the market. The Giberit one is just the milwaukee one. Good unit I'm using that on the job I'm on now.

Rems do a mini one, which is a good if your going up to 35mm. It's a good little compact unit that can be used on domestic too.

If if your going to be doing a lot of work try sticking to one brand, I.e xpress or Mapress. The reason for this is, generally the manufacturer will give you hire tokens to use at A hire centre. The making it a free to hire unit. Then you don't have the expense of buying the unit or Calibrating it every year.

They have to be calibrated!

I've used all of these machines a fair bit and to me they're all pretty similar, I slightly prefer rems because it stays on normal jaws for 42 and 54mm whereas geberit go to chains at that point which are a bit slower. just get the best priced one or the milwaukee if you already have that gear

Tectite (yorkshire) are doing mlcp pipe in 15mm now but not cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Press tool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock