Search the forum,

Discuss Powerflush or re-pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Ben-gee

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Inherited heating system (in when we bought) has been poorly maintained, no inhibitor most radiators rusty, several places when a magnet sticks to a copper pipe.
Also inordinate amount of creaking/popping as system heats/cools.

Combi boiler on ground floor, most rads on drops from reasonably accessible loft space (chalet bungalow), some drops feed two rads.
A recent extension by us has wet under floor (not connected up to system yet)

We need to replace the boiler as it will not cope with extra requirement.

Question is ; I am thinking of renewing copper pipe to all rads before a GSR replaces the boiler and connects up the underfloor. This would be instead of a powerflush; is this a mad thought?

If you do the remaining system dirt will end up in the new rads pipework and underfloor you need to replace as much as physically possible ,think I would say replace the lot in the spring/summer and still have it powerfulshed . Kop

Even if you re-pipe 100% it is worth flushing (perhaps a powerflush would be OTT in this case) to get oils and fluxes out of the system. And let's not forget that new copper tube often contains copper swarf.

Creaking and popping is pipe too tight against timber etc. A simple fix is to loosen pipe clips and enlarge holes that pipe passes through.

You could try an agressive system cleaner first. They are quite effective at removing deposits. Make sure you give long enough to circulate, and flush properly afterwards.

If you are not renewing rads, after you have drained off the system cleaner, take the rads off and thoroughly swill out with a hosepipe, sloshing water around plenty inside. Gets far more debris out than flushing alone. When system is thoroughly rinsed, be sure to fit a system filter to pick up any more debris. If your system is open vented (with tank in the roof space) convert to a sealed system.

Reply to Powerflush or re-pipe? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
I am told I need to replace my boiler. I am considering a system boiler so I can lose the tank in the loft and feed it direct from the mains water. My rads are fed by 10mm plastic pipe. Is there much of a pressure increase with a system boiler and will the plastic pipe joints (e.g. John Guest...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
About 5 year ago, I had a new central heating system (radiators) installed to replace my old warm air underfloor system. The warm air side of the new system is okay but we cannot get any hot water without running a bucketfull of cold water first. This means having to wash your hands in cold...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock