Search the forum,

Discuss powerflush and gas tightness with new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop81

Hi all,ave few enquiries regarding new boiler installation with powerflush.

Was advised that job would take two days, first day they will fit new boiler and second do the powerflush.
Upon questioning why they`re not doing powerflush first was told central heating not going to be used so no debris will enter new boiler.

Upon coming home first day was told boiler is all functional and benchmark sheet was all filled up.
Were they able to get values for central heating mode without firing central heating and thus getting debris into new boiler before doing powerflush?

And second question is regarding gas leak.
It was discovered only on second day when they came to do powerflush, later was fixed but was advised that there will be extra charge.
Now, am I right in thinking that they must have caused leak as none was advised during first day, and to best of my knowledge duty of care requires engineer to check tightness before and after any work done?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have done the flush first personally... then had a magnetic filter installed when the boiler was being piped so it should have been v clean for a nice new boiler.

Larry lambchop did you go for the cheapest quote??

Took 5 quotes and they were all within £100 difference. And no, it wasn't cheapest but neither most expensive.

To expand on that, from my experience atleast, choosing most expensive quote doesn't guarantee better job.

Thanks for your input.

Took 5 quotes and they were all within £100 difference. And no, didn't take cheapest but didn't go for most expensive either.

Also, from my experience atleast, paying more doesn't mean job will be done better.

Thanks for your input though.

Fair point well made lambchop,

in answer to your original post. The flush should be carried out first in my opinion. You can ask for a water sample so that you can check the water quality and check that the correct dose of inhibitor has been added.
with the gas leak a tightness test should've been carried out on day one. This would've indicated a leak straight away. Sadly a few people shut off gas, install boiler and THEN carry out their one and only tightness test. I'd argue the extra cost.

Did you have a filter fitted? Ie magnaclean?

Gas leak seems an odd one though, how much extra did they charge? If it wasn't noticed by you have you any proof that there was one?
Seeing as you were throwing a few K their way you think they might have said " We found a wee gas leak but took care of it for you FOC"

Thanks for your answers guys.
I'm waiting on invoice(could be few weeks), paid only half of quoted price before works but as they mentioned extra cost I`m expecting it on the invoice.
Should I raise my concerns straightaway or wait for the invoice to come?

So just to understand properly:

If they had to fire central heating to benchmark boiler it means they lied(english not my first language and cant find better word) that debris not going to enter boiler?

Leak situation is very suspicious for me.
First day boiler was installed and everything was ok, which would suggest to me that there is no leak.
They found leak second day when they came to do powerflush(would you normally check for it when doing powerflush only?), also did some damage to gas meter and had to call SGN to attend site.
Also as I had breakdown repaired on old boiler 3 weeks ago under bg homecare agreement and they found no gas leak I feel quite confident that leak wasn`t there.
Do I have strong ground arguing extra charge for new pipes in this case?

Many thanks

I didnt fit filter as space is little bit tight on worktop and thought powerflush will be sufficient.

I can always add it to system, right?

Who ever installed your boiler lamchop has certainly not filled you with confidence and this should be part of the tradesman / customer experience otherwise whats it all about, the guys are spot on he shouldve done a gas test b4 and after which wouldve shown up a leak or not and when he does the final one if a leak he wouldve known it was his work, also the flush , me personally b4 as the boiler HAS to get a standard flush with cleanser then inhibator put in so theyve just cut corners in my eyes and left your boiler open to any debri, magnatite or scale, its a crying shame but i would pay for leak unless he can prove it was an existing problem also enquire about the flush procedure,, me personally even if i found a leak and fixed it well id simply treat it as a good will gesture since the customer was good enough to give me the work as it must work both ways (kindness)

Ask the plumber to call gas safe, ask him to explain how he conformed to IGUP/1B - exhausting installations.

Maybe they used a magnacleanse unit while commissioning the boiler?

Maybe they used a magnacleanse unit while commissioning the boiler?

They didn`t use anything first day, they just said they won`t use central heating until after powerflush which turned out to be untrue as they ran central heating to get details for benchmark sheet.

Never understand why people don't flush it first? Use the heat from old boiler on flush then use filter or Magnacleanse on commissioning.
Least you get a clean boiler on a clean system.

Whats all this about good will gestures and free leak repairs. If its not been priced for, its extra. You dont ask a customer whilst they got their wallet open they might aswell give you some extra money.
The leak should have been picked up before, but thats between customer and contractor.
, we blatantly dont have all the facts..
I flush when the boiler is off the wall, then again at end of the job if it warrants it. But always have magnetic filters and strainers priced into boiler jobs too..

Some times old boilers kaput, other times your connected to a bbu or cast system boiler - it's like flushing a sewage works when all u want is to rinse the sink !

As Ermi has just said, I dont always flush first on installs, I do whats convenient for me. However I always put a magnaclean on return and fernox cleaner in the system overnight so the likelihood of debris getting in the boiler is small

using the term powerflush suggests that the system is old and has a decent amount of sludge/contamination so you would def do this first. Did they have a large pump/machine running most of the day?

as for the gas leak, well its hard to say without you telling us what was leaking. It could have been a permissable drop that was discoverd on existing pipework the second day after smelling gas in a certain area of the house? What seems to be causing issues is a lack or poor level of communication.

They didn`t use anything first day, they just said they won`t use central heating until after powerflush which turned out to be untrue as they ran central heating to get details for benchmark sheet.
Unless they sat in the van and copied the details from the manufacturers literarure......

if you werent happy with them power flushing on the new boiler, why did you use them? just me being cynical, but if you are worried about something, youre normally right so why go ahead and complain later?

Lamb,

You can always find space for a mag-filter they make a mini one don't they which will fit at all angles of the dangles, the filter will still take out crap that the flush missed and BTW any new crap will be on the filter, I will bet you that in the next few years boiler manufactures will fit one on the boiler

"Leak situation is very suspicious for me."

"Do I have strong ground arguing extra charge for new pipes in this case?"

Was the new boiler a combination boiler, and the old one a heat only boiler with hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard ? if so, it's quite possible that they found the gas supply pipe inadequate for the combination boiler and have up-sized it. Most gas leak repairs don't involve lengths of new pipework.

"Leak situation is very suspicious for me."

"Do I have strong ground arguing extra charge for new pipes in this case?"

Was the new boiler a combination boiler, and the old one a heat only boiler with hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard ? if so, it's quite possible that they found the gas supply pipe inadequate for the combination boiler and have up-sized it. Most gas leak repairs don't involve lengths of new pipework.

Both were/are combi boilers

Gas leak seems an odd one though, how much extra did they charge? If it wasn't noticed by you have you any proof that there was one?
Seeing as you were throwing a few K their way you think they might have said " We found a wee gas leak but took care of it for you FOC"

just got invoice and they charged £250+vat.

Still didnt pay invoice and decided to test heating.

Radiator downstairs in living room gets warmish while bottom of it is cold. All others are scorching hot.

Does this mean sludge? Just to mention that never had issue with old boiler when it comes to radiators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to powerflush and gas tightness with new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock