Search the forum,

Discuss Power flush? will I really need this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vass

Hi Forum
I have replaced all pipework and rads over the past 3 years.
The boiler has finaly given up
So, before I put in a new one, do I really need to power flush?
I was going to drain the system and have a look for debris, if its pretty clear
I'd have thought a power flush was un-neccassary.
There has been some brown flakes in the pump about a year ago that I had to clear out
so maye I'm answering my own Q. but advice appreciated.
As the whole system will be empty, and the boiler removed this weekend, all I have is an open set of pipes and rads with a disconnected flow and return awaiting arrival of the new boiler. If I just connect these together and run a hose at one rad at the other end of the house, and simply run water through and out the other end, would this not do ?

TIA
Vass

Hi Vass
Sounds like you know what you are doing, the BS is vague in saying how a system should be flushed so do it like you say and add a quality inhibitor when you have finnished. Power flushing is for sludged and contminated systems.
Cheers Mate

Hi.
You've got to add a chemical cleanser & run for a min 2 hours [hot], then drain, refiill flush through & finally fill with an inhibitor.
If you didn't do this & had a problem when under warranty, the manufactures would walk away.
If you're investing in a new boiler it makes sense, also would recommend a filter such as Magnaclean on the return pipe to the boiler.
If all radiators working well, this should suffice, if got poor flow to them a powerflush would help.

Hi aggis
Yes Magnacleans are excellent, but just done the Baxi course last week and they say it is not a requirement to chemically treat the water, they say the number of benchmark forms they see with WHAT CLEANER WAS USED and the answer is H2O. The instructer said they cant tell if a cleaner was used, just inhibitor when done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I understand what your saying, but if I'm installing, I don't want any comebacks & most of the manufactures state the system should be flushed with a chemical cleanser. I advise magnacleans or similar because of the extra protection of the boiler from the production of magnetite in the system.
You're correct that the manufactures can't identify what cleanser was used,[ nor inhibitor unless they've got the brands testing kit.] But they use a TDS meter to test the water quality [dirt]
Dirty water no warranty work, especially on plate heat exchangers.
It might take a little longer but I'd rather have peace of mind & if you explain this to the customer, they are usually happy to pay for it, or if not just put on your final invoice that you offered this & then you're covered when late on in their warranty the manufactures won't replace their parts because of water quality.

Hi aggis
I know what you are saying and I agree, you are obviosly a contientious installer, but I was answering vass' question. I think you will find plate heat exchanger problems due to lack of a lime buster on cold inlet.

Hiring the powerflusher would cost about ÂŁ40-ÂŁ50 and it is easy to carry out so I would advise you to do it yourself it you are trying to save money.

There is only one way to get an independent answer. Have the water quality tested FIRST by the power flush association, THEN if you need it done get prices, etc. Saves me loads of complaints when other plumbers get it wrong and make me look bad.

There is only one way to get an independent answer. Have the water quality tested FIRST by the power flush association, THEN if you need it done get prices, etc. Saves me loads of complaints when other plumbers get it wrong and make me look bad.

tested by the powerflush association??? doesn't exactly sound independent now does it?

bet the answer is always 'oh yes you need a PF', btw is the PF association also known as BG?

Powerfushing is a must do in my opinion and should always be done.

Bob

replacing anything thats been open vented power flush definatly anything thats been sealed and is workin fine apart from the boiler needing changing i just look at whats come out put put the drain down hose into a bucket small specs in it then fit a magna clean

Hi Forum
I have replaced all pipework and rads over the past 3 years.
The boiler has finaly given up
So, before I put in a new one, do I really need to power flush?
I was going to drain the system and have a look for debris, if its pretty clear
I'd have thought a power flush was un-neccassary.
There has been some brown flakes in the pump about a year ago that I had to clear out
so maye I'm answering my own Q. but advice appreciated.
As the whole system will be empty, and the boiler removed this weekend, all I have is an open set of pipes and rads with a disconnected flow and return awaiting arrival of the new boiler. If I just connect these together and run a hose at one rad at the other end of the house, and simply run water through and out the other end, would this not do ?

TIA
Vass

Mate I would. Pre dose the system for a few days with Fernox F3 just to chew into corrosion and then powerflush the system with correct flushing agent. If you have brown / Orange deposits it is oxcidic corrosion so I would be looking at configuration plas maybe blocked cold feed. Ensure you fit an air seperator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power flush? will I really need this? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock