Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton performa 28 combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Christopher buzzard

Gas Engineer
Hi all. Got called to the above boiler which had an intermittent hot water fault. Had it for 2 weeks and gradually getting worse. Went on Friday and couldn't get it to fault. Had it running for 5 minutes and it didn't drop out once. Kept turning tap on and off but still no fault. The customer said that the radiator icon on the front panel flashes and boiler has to be reset to get it working again. Done usual checks, burner pressure. Checked fan which seemed ok. Rang technical and without it going to fault they weren't much good. Customer has rang again today to say it's playing up again. Can anyone point me in the right direction for things to check or has any1 experienced this fault. Regards to the Heating side, I tried that and it didn't go to fault but female customer said it would go to fault on Heating also, where as the male says it's hot water only that fault occurs.

Regards

If rad symbol is coming on check the diverter is working correctly

IMG_0804.PNG
I could see when hot tap was turned on the pin from the hot water pressure differential valve was operating the micro switch to bring on the boiler. Just couldnt tell if it was going down the Heating as it was already on when I got there. Number 28 on the picture would come on so customer said.

Depends could be a fault eg over temp or a ch fault

Had an intermittent fault on the equivalent Baxi a few weeks ago. Turned out to be the pump was at fault. It was running ok but didn't have a lot of grunt left in it. You could stop it rotating with a screwdriver. So it wasn't distributing the heat fast enough when it was getting up to temp and going to fault. Just a thought.

No water temp is fine. The fault is that after running the boiler on hot water the boiler will just Randomly cut and go to fault. The radiator icon with line through it( see pic) Water will run cold until the boiler is manually reset. It will then fire up. Sometimes it is fine and others it will go back to fault again. They can run a bath 1/4 full with hot water. Like I say it wouldn’t do it when I was there.

He has just txted to say when hot water is running he can hear the igniter continually clicking away. After the boiler has ignited am I right in thinking the ignition process should stop once flame has been established.
Not sure if related. Just thought i would say

correct shouldnt go more than 5 secs once flame

Sorry if I’m confusing people. He said He could hear it trying to ignite when the flame was present, established and hot water coming out from the tap. I’ll check it out on the board tomorrow when I go round and see what what’s happening. Wasn’t sure if this had anything to do with the flame going out mid way through running a hot tap and going to fault.

If it's continuing with the ignition once lit for any amount of time or even stopping and starting intermittently, then it could be that there is no continuity through the flame or the probes are corroded (coated). Did you test for continuity through the probes and did you test the high and low gas flame?
If all seems well with those and it has a good flame current I would suspect the board, especially with it throwing a sensor fault code. Have you tested the heating sensor resistance?

Hey. Thanks for that @Last Plumber I’m going back tomorrow to check the heating sensor. Read I need around 11 ohms when cold.
11ooo (11k) Ohms cold. (normally around room temp 20 degrees ish).

I think (don't quote me as it's been a while since I worked on those) the DHW sensor and the CH sensor are the same part. If they are at the same temp then they should read similar. Just saying as sometimes a bit of thought when fault finding can save time.

Reply to Potterton performa 28 combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock