Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton gold :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

plumb_know

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi Everyone,

Potterton gold Heat only driving me mad, would appreciate if anyone has any ideas on this one as boiler cutting out after 10-15secs. Phoned baxi 4 times but nothing seems to be working.

Called to boiler not firing, Fault code on LEDS is ignition lockout.

Take cover of burner and find all seals gone and not been serviced in 5 years. carry out a service cleaning burner, condense trap, replacing combustion door with new seals & new electrode kit. Fire up and burns lovely but still goes out after 15secs.

Checked: tightness test, boiler polarity, checked no water on trap connectors, tried firing it without white cable from electrode connected to trap, checked getting over 18mbar working pressure (it does go to 17mbar on initial lighting for 1sec but then stabilises at 18.5mbar), replace all 3 electrode leads, tried a new pcb, cleaned out small pipe from top of gas valve (on baxi advise), getting 205DV to gas valve. tried to check to see if gas valve cutting out (on baxi advise) believe this is all ok as 205v dc to gas valve while operating hear valve close and no DC current to gas valve at that time and inlet pressure goes back to standing. also checked continuity on all electrodes to cable ends.

Each time i call baxi they are saying that what i have done should have cured it.
Any one else think of any tests i could carry out?? could it just be i picked up a faulty PCB? at the moment i have left it with the customer i will get another pcb and see if that work but have no idea where to go if it does not??

appreciate any help

any flow and return thermistors ? sounds like either not sensing flame or cant get the heat away but as youve replace the electrodes

you tried it just on hot water?

yes there are but baxi said the thermistors would not kick in that quick, do you know what ohms readings i should get from them when cold (12k ohms ?? )

thanks Shaun

should be listed in the manual but rough guidance

Temperature (degrees C)resistance (ohms)

Fault on gas valve? Burner ok? Correct voltages? Loose wire? Correct spark gap? If it is overheat or related is pump defective/correct voltage?

[automerge]1568414272[/automerge]
any flow and return thermistors ? sounds like either not sensing flame or cant get the heat away but as youve replace the electrodes

you tried it just on hot water?

If it were, would it not be overheat, rather than ignition lockout?

Last edited by a moderator:

Don’t know, as he’s ruled out the electrodes

Either ntc or heat issues in my mind but could be wrong

Fault on gas valve? Burner ok? Correct voltages? Loose wire? Correct spark gap? If it is overheat or related is pump defective/correct voltage?

[automerge]1568414272[/automerge]

i Do not think its over heat as it the fault code on the boiler is ignition lockout also its 10/15 secs before cutting out which i dont think the boiler would over heat that quickly, no sound of air bubbles in the heat exchanger or kettling.

what checks can i do on the gas valve apart from seeing its getting 240dc & that it is passing gas??

also what correct voltages do you mean?? i have checked polarity, gas valve, continuity of electrode cables, electrodes are new also the boiler is not continuing to spark once it has lit suggesting boiler has recognised boiler has lit.

I have checked over the cables pressing them all to ensure they are in.

Thanks for the help everyone

what checks can i do on the gas valve apart from seeing its getting 240dc & that it is passing gas??

also what correct voltages do you mean?? i have checked polarity, gas valve, continuity of electrode cables, electrodes are new also the boiler is not continuing to spark once it has lit suggesting boiler has recognised boiler has lit.

I don’t think there are any other checks on tha gas valve, other than resistance of the pins? The correct voltages I mean are you getting 240vac to your live and neutral?

Reply to Potterton gold :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock