Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Gold heat only playing up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Potterton Gold heat only, I went there last week no heating, 2 jammed trv's and air in the system. I was up against it, it was late and I had 3 jobs ahead of me. Boiler fired up rads got hot, hung around 10 minutes, all good. Tenant reported magnetic filter leaking, put in quote to replace. Got sent back today to do but was told heating issue again can I sort while i'm there??.

So I found out a Honeywell thermostat was fitted before I went last week as the old one was making a funny noise apparently then the heating issues started a day or 2 after. The tenant said the guy who changed had a hard time of it getting the heating working. Seems a bit strange.

First off. all off at mains, switch on, ch and hw both switched off at the programmer and the boiler fires up and goes round hot water. 3 port by the way.

If I push the lever over on 3 port, it will circulate round the heating system. Sometimes it will stay on for a while, other times goes off after a minute.

Phoned technical who said check the 4 way junction box inside case. In the S/L terminal there was a permanent live so he said take that out and see what happens.

Ok no permanent live with switch live now. HW will now switch on at programmer.

No change for ch, turn ch on at programmer I dont get 240 on orange. I tried a new actuator and no different.

Person who changed room stat didnt do anything at wiring center or boiler. allegedly.

Is this pointing to programmer or something else?
Thanks.

First I would have a quick look in the wiring centre see if all is where it is

Then I would link out the prog and test each side

First I would have a quick look in the wiring centre see if all is where it is

Then I would link out the prog and test each side

Wiring looked OK. Hw tested OK, just don't get anything on s/l when I turn heating up.
Going back with a programmer this morning. Not 100% convinced though.

Correct

Do you hear the relay click when you turn heating on ?

No the timer / prog

Also make sure the room stat is wired correctly 1 and 3 are your lives
2 neutral

If it’s a 6063

Sounds more like a wiring issue

Thats what I thought initially but can't seem to see anything wrong. Programmer and stat look wired up correctly, hw will turn on fine since I removed permanent live. Just ch does nothing.

Starting to wonder if there is a break on the cable from the stat. Will check for continuity if programmer does nothing.

Mate of mine had one yesterday. Was pulling his hair out. Ended up being a loose neutral at the 10 way.

Edit- not saying that is what it is.

I'm sure I've checked all that but its possible. Going to try a new stat and programmer if cable OK from stat will rewire.

And then I'm out of ideas lol

Programmer.

Thanks for the helpful replies. ShaunCorbs thank you, linked out programmer as you said boiler fired for ch only. Swapped programmer and back plate all good.

I've been getting a lot of work from a maintenance firm the last couple of months so I'm getting a lot of heating/hot water issues. I've been learning a lot after doing mainly plumbing recently. It's what I need and if I learn something new but don't make much I'm happy because that will come.

A lot of beers I owe :D

Reply to Potterton Gold heat only playing up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock