Search the forum,

Discuss Possible "water hammering" in flat...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All - I have a problem with rattling pipes when water is turned on in my flat.
  • I'm top floor of a 3 storey development (c10 years old)
  • Issue has only been prevalent in the last 8-10 weeks but has gotten gradually worse.
  • The pipes rattle when water is turned on but appears to be concentrated in my main bathroom.
  • Water is forced through my hot tap (mixer variety) in the main bathroom also (even in a closed position)
  • By turning the hot tap on in the main bathroom, relieves the noise and vibration
  • Noise is generated by washing machine being in use, flushing of toilet or by turning the taps on in the en suite and kitchen.
  • The noise always centres in the main bathroom, regardless of where the originating water flow is generated.
  • I've had the inner tap component replaced & new piping fitted to toilet, but noise still persists.
Any advice to eradicate greatly appreciated.

Also, I should mention that in the majority of occasions, even just touching the hot tap, resolves the issue. Could the problem be with the mixer tap itself?

Could be the tap. Could also be another outlet. Toilet fillers are quite common at transferring noise down pipework

[*]Issue has only been prevalent in the last 8-10 weeks but has gotten gradually worse.

This, and your report that the noise can be triggered in several ways, makes me suspect that some pipe(s) wasn't clipped securely and are gradually working loose.

How sure are you about the location of the pipes? Have you had a look under the bath?

This, and your report that the noise can be triggered in several ways, makes me suspect that some pipe(s) wasn't clipped securely and are gradually working loose.

How sure are you about the location of the pipes? Have you had a look under the bath?

Yep that's what I was thinking, just read the other posts, its a shame the pipes aren't accessible in the bathroom as would be a quick easy one to confirm other wise.

Is there a bath panel that can be removed to get to the pipes?

Reply to Possible "water hammering" in flat...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just had a neighbour knock the door regarding a water hammer issue. My own house developed this issue sometime last year as well which is when the neighbours roughly started. Severn Trent were doing bits and bobs out in the street back then but this is probably a coincidence. Our water...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have been a plumber for 3 years now, I haven't come across many issues with water hammer so I'm not to sure what to do. it happens on the hot pipework, more specifically the hot taps in the bathroom (basin and bath). but it only seems to happen when I open the hot tap to a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock