Search the forum,

Discuss Portable Gas / Superser Heater issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning all

I have an issue with a very old (~ late '70s) Superser gas heater that has just cropped up following a bottle change. In short, it seems that the gas supply is too much and the pilot light will not stay. When trying to ignite the flame seems very aggressive and as soon as the button for the supply is depressed, it goes out. See the video.

I can get it to have what I would call the stable flame by feathering the on / off switch on the regulator. However I never had to do this before and it doesnt really stay on that well.

The heater originally had a different regulator to the one I current have. See the old / new below;

https://i.*********/zTUaSEr.jpg
https://i.*********/UFw0jvw.jpg

I changed the regulator as I had some of the Yellow Butane bottles ready to be used and thought, Butane is Butane! This has worked for the last year or so (with this bottom regulator and yellow bottles. Based on what the ignition is doing, is there too much gas flowing? Seems odd that it would just arise from a bottle change.

Ive tried the usual things, cleaning round the spark, blow some air around it etc but to no avail.

Ive included the information from the inside panel from the superser as reference but from my reading it all seems like ok?

https://i.*********/3lQ8R3z.jpg

Im happy to replace if needs be as its more than paid its due (4o years?) however the newer variants all take a blue calor gas bottle which needs a different (my original?) regulator.

Is there a massive difference between the regulator types and are they interchangeable, for example, could I buy one of the newer models and swap over the regulator to use the yellow bottles, just so they are not left sitting full and unused)

If not, I can bite the bullet and replace, Im not sure how much salvage there is to this?

Sorry for the wall of text and questions and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Rob

40 year old flue less gas heater?????

I think it had its day - most states in Australia banned these items
25 + years ago.
Time for something newer and safer.
A carbon monoxide test in your dwelling, when the heater is running, would probably send the person doing the test running also.

As for changing types of gases and regulators which aren't compatible, you are a statistic waiting to happen - so is anyone within a 150 metre radius of you.

I didn't like the ignition flame roll in the video either.

Please don't come back with the argument - it's been fine for 40 years

also just to add they shouldnt be used inside a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Portable Gas / Superser Heater issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock