Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Related Good Read in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Rob Foster

Esteemed
794C2DFD-3AD5-442A-94EE-438756B168CD.jpeg
579606AE-0BE8-4596-862A-4B957FCDBB54.jpeg
This might not be every plumbers idea of reading matter but I enjoyed it
centralheatking

Hi Rob,

When was that book written?

I have just had a 'flashback' to school days, when we had someone visit our school and talk about the same topic.
He was saying things along the lines of countries that rely on water from a river, that flows through other countries before it reaches their country.
So the higher up the the flow stream you are, you can control the water to countries downstream of where you are.

You could dry them out, flood them or poison them depending on the circumstances

Its an extremely interesting topic. Turkey is already engaged in an actual water war, they've been restricting the flow of water heading towards Syria in order to reduce the ability of the Kurds and Assad further along the river, to generate hydro electricity. Its a war crime that gets very little coverage.

India has also threatened to do the same, restricting the flow of water into Pakistan, which would be hugely damaging.

Hi Rob,

When was that book written?

I have just had a 'flashback' to school days, when we had someone visit our school and talk about the same topic.
He was saying things along the lines of countries that rely on water from a river, that flows through other countries before it reaches their country.
So the higher up the the flow stream you are, you can control the water to countries downstream of where you are.

You could dry them out, flood them or poison them depending on the circumstances
Published 1999 but the principles hold true

Published well after I finished school, so the problems were ongoing well before 1999.
Come to think of it - Global warming was an issue well before that date too. There were holes in the ozone layer over the north and south pole in the early eighties.

Which ponders the question - what have we done about it?

Not much is my answer.

Wasn’t it closing / closed already ?

That funny smell from running a laser printer is ozone. It's really poisonous, but not at the concentration you get from a printer. Could we waft a bit of that up to fill the hole?

Surely there's been the same amount of water on the planet for the last 100,000,000 years? It just changes form (ice-liquid-vapour) & concentration levels from time 2 time...…….

Surely there's been the same amount of water on the planet for the last 100,000,000 years? It just changes form (ice-liquid-vapour) & concentration levels from time 2 time...…….
That is just the point this book makes, but there is and will be an ever increasing number of people whom live on this planet and tend to consume more water...then its down to who has enough dosh to buy their water ...when they are thursty
centralheatking...its a big subject beyond local countries
such as the USA. etc...centralheatking

Fair point, adult male 60% water, adult female 55% water. The more people on the planet the more water it ties up sustaining life

Fair point, adult male 60% water, adult female 55% water. The more people on the planet the more water it ties up sustaining life
I have not yet thought about it too much yet but burning N2
does produce H20 on a clean burn basis. But that is a physical puzzle, I tend to solve
commercial puzzles in order to
make money regards
centralheatking

Global warming was an issue well before that date too. There were holes in the ozone layer over the north and south pole in the early eighties.

Which ponders the question - what have we done about it?

The hole in the antarctic ozone layer was a separate problem to that of climate change and, thanks to international bans on the production and use of CFCs, is now pretty much a solved problem:

Hole in ozone layer has shrunk thanks to worldwide ban of CFCs, Nasa confirms

Back when I was at school, the doom and gloom was split equally between nuclear war and the impending 'population explosion'. The former has pretty much happened as predicted but the latter has not materialised... yet.

Global,warming was also a mis fire
by the experts, they never really predicted how much more energy is in the biosphere they just banged on about rising sea levels....not localised and regional flooding. The propensity for water pick up over the oceans and subsequent precipitation went un predicted
centralheatking

Reply to Plumbing Related Good Read in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock