Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing prices and call out charge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

how much to plumbers charge per hour these days I’m doing my nvq and eventually want to go self employed. How much is the going rate per hour and how much is call out charge these days ?
Any help would me much appreciated

Call out charges vary. STD fee for 1st hour. Different rates for existing customers and new ones. Charlie Mullins outfit charge £125.00 + vat for first hour . I used to charge travelling time from time I left home Centralheatking

Call out charges vary. STD fee for 1st hour. Different rates for existing customers and new ones. Charlie Mullins outfit charge £125.00 + vat for first hour . I used to charge travelling time from time I left home Centralheatking

They charge over £300/h when you get real close to Christmas! My step fatehr ended up using them couple years back when I was stuck up in Brum and he'd already been ripped off by a dodgy firm he found online! Started off with just a leaking TRV, ended up with cowboys breaking his boiler followed by a £1,500 bill off Mullins, it was a very expensive drain down!

Where most self employed people go wrong is that they under estimate their annual overheads and over estimate in the early years the number of weeks per year they will be working ... which is the perfect storm for being a very busy poor fool.

Yep I made that mistake when I started out on my own and it was a nightmare as it then set a price expectation with repeat custom and any word of mouth jobs through them. Took me a few years to steadily rise prices up to something a bit more reasonable with my original network of clients.

Also some of it when you start can come from that fear of turning away/loosing work, but you quickly learn the hard way that its best not winning a job than winning it on a crap price!

Hi

I'm not a plumber but my impression is that whatever your price, it will always be too much for too many people. That's life.

A suggestion was 125ph plus vat which is probably more than a neurosurgeon would earn per hour. If you figure that one out, let me know.

Hi

I'm not a plumber but my impression is that whatever your price, it will always be too much for too many people. That's life.

A suggestion was 125ph plus vat which is probably more than a neurosurgeon would earn per hour. If you figure that one out, let me know.

£125ph wasn't a suggestion, he was referring to how much Pimlico charge.

As always when running a business profit and turnover are two issues to keep a balance with. One expensive job per week or being rushed off your feet doing cheap jobs that make no money Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Where most self employed people go wrong is that they under estimate their annual overheads and over estimate in the early years the number of weeks per year they will be working ... which is the perfect storm for being a very busy poor fool.
Bob on That Murdoch.
I come across them a lot. People starting up, selling Boilers for cost, charging a 'wage' on top. No-one can compete and they're mega busy for a while. Following the 'busy while' they either jack it in and go back to being an employee or they get wise and charge properly.

Never ever charged a call out fee. Always found people hated 'em. However, I always (okay mostly...) seemed to be able to suss out the idiots from the genuine.
It's not rocket science.
Estimate your hourly rate based on the money you need to earn to live properly (not forgetting all the incidental commitments like tax NI etc) but working just FOUR days a week. Then make sure all materials are at trade plus 20% and once the job is landed buy wisely.
Be confident and work comes in.

Fixed costs can kill a business, some are unavoidable like road tax for the truck. Variable costs need close scrutiny buying expensive derv, expensive pipe and fittings is lazy practice , advertising is a subject in itself
Huh I could drone on if you want Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Fixed costs can kill a business, some are unavoidable like road tax for the truck. Variable costs need close scrutiny buying expensive derv, expensive pipe and fittings is lazy practice , advertising is a subject in itself
Huh I could drone on if you want Rob Foster aka centralheatking
Cheers rob thanks for the advise

Reply to Plumbing prices and call out charge in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock