Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Courses - intensive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey all,

New to the forum so apologies if i'm posting in the wrong place but i need a little advice.

I'm looking at courses to become a plumber - i started when i was in college did a level 1 and didn't continue with it stupidly enough, i'm 27 now have a mortgage and want to get back into it, however, i'm not going to be able to go back to college as i just cant afford the time but there are other agencies out there to get NVQ lvl 2 - currently looking at Plumbing academy online offering a weekend course for 13 weeks for 6k. Seems too good to be true though as i know that wont give me the experience i need to fall into a 40k job not dreaming but would it give me what i need to get into the trade and a job afterwards.

does anyone here know if these courses are worth it? they seem very sales heavy as already had 2 calls in the space of a day but just seems too, easy, as i know there is so much you need to know and that takes longer than 13 weeks.

Any help on this would be really helpful!

I recently went that route, but had a trade already & needed a change so started doing it weekends but found it was taking to long, so swapped the 2nd half to weekdays. The problem I found was exams had to be taken during the week & you couldn't book the next part of the course until you had finished the part you was on (start date for next part was usually 4-6 weeks wait)
Ive got mixed views on if it was worth it, to get the technical knowledge of some elements and the nvq2 paperwork was, but in no way will it make you employable. (from what I saw most firms want nvq2 & 2-3 years experience)
I was lucky in respect I had contacts / friends within the trade I could jump in with for the experience and get things signed off etc.
I payed a lot less than 6k with water regs & unvented included. I wont advertise them here as its not what most people expect & many people thought they would get more from it. But pm me if you want the details.

Hi.
Level 2 is basic plumbing and won’t get you a job. You would need level 3 and gas safe. So I would save your money.
Average earnings for a plumber is £28,000. So way off your target. Most good ones with gas are up to £35, some up to £40. But these are apprentice trained and have maybe 10 yeArs of experience.

I was lucky in respect I had contacts / friends within the trade I could jump in with for the experience and get things signed off etc.

You're a lucky man.
Im at college at the moment doing an adult learning course plumbing and heating level 2 aiming towards gas safe but I need experience in the trade. Thats where Im struggling. Iv applied for some jobs which have very litttle requirements but nothing seems to have come my way yet.

Try ringing the small local companies to you (unless you have friends or relatives that can put in a good word for you with someone they know) and offer to start for v low wage or nothing if you want to get in the door, Most small firms will probably be losing money when you first start for them.

Really appreciate the responses guys thank you! they called me a few times last night to try push the sale so its put me off to be honest - i will be calling around my local area to see if i can get any work.

unfortunately dont have any friends in the trade and i wouldnt want to be an anchor either but i will see if i can get any experience even if its weekends.

When i said 40k i new that was a reach but its funny as they advertise it on their website!

Doing up my house at the moment re-fitting the kitchen and tiling so i will take before and afters and hopefully that will help show what i know - albeit very limited but hopefully this will help!

saved me wasting 6 grand though thanks all!

I recently went that route, but had a trade already & needed a change so started doing it weekends but found it was taking to long, so swapped the 2nd half to weekdays. The problem I found was exams had to be taken during the week & you couldn't book the next part of the course until you had finished the part you was on (start date for next part was usually 4-6 weeks wait)
Ive got mixed views on if it was worth it, to get the technical knowledge of some elements and the nvq2 paperwork was, but in no way will it make you employable. (from what I saw most firms want nvq2 & 2-3 years experience)
I payed a lot less than 6k with water regs & unvented included. I wont advertise them here as its not what most people expect & many people thought they would get more from it. But pm me if you want the details.

Thanks for the response! i will have a look around to see cheaper courses but i think for the time being i will speak to local plumbers and see if there is any work at all and continue to renovate my house and take pictures to show im not completely useless! thanks again!

How is the 40K worded on the website?
Get Qualified and earn 40k+ - thats a copy word for word - i know that its incorrect straight out the bat - i know people can make that in certain areas but unrealistic straight after a course with no exp, to be honest im not doing it for the money just looking to get out of an office!

Last edited:
Get Qualified and earn 40k+ - thats a copy word for word - i know that its incorrect straight out the bat - i know people can make that in certain areas but unrealistic straight after a course with no exp, to be honest im not doing it for the money just looking to get out of an office!
Any small print at the bottom of the page anywhere?

Any small print at the bottom of the page anywhere?
Alot to be honest, and alot that doesnt really make sense. without doing any research i can see how they would get people to sign up, good thing im pessimistic with these things and am aware that plumbing entails alot of knowledge - but thanks for all the help - im sure i will be back in a few weeks with more questions after hounding local plumbers!

Its the experience that counts the most. A friend of mine has had a new bathroom fitted including wall tiles and floor tiles.
The man who did all the work has no quals at all. Hes just been doing the job for years and recomendations keep him busy all year round because hes that good at his job.

Im doing a course right now because I want to move onto gas safe. You need level 2 plumbing and heating certificate to be able to do level 3.

Reply to Plumbing Courses - intensive in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock