Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing books nvq or city and guilds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi i am looking to buy some plumbing books and was womdering what books would be best for a new person starting plumbing city and guilds book or nvq level two book

hi i am looking to buy some plumbing books and was womdering what books would be best for a new person starting plumbing city and guilds book or nvq level two book
Can we ask for what reason you want them i.e. are they to be use along side a plumbing course ?
As what you intend to do with them will change the selection.

There's plenty of people keen to put you off, if you want to do gas, you will be taken more seriously if you do basic plumbing first. Starting with the city and guilds plumbing 6035, buy it :)

The training company gets you 7 weeks work placement to complete the portfolio
Doing what - Fires, cookers, meters, pipework installations not just putting a boilers on a wall, I hope?
Do you honestly think this will provide you with enough practical experience to be able to work as a gas engineer, we don't just do the gas on a boiler as you seem to understand, so I would start the other way round like most do, learn the plumbing / heating side first before moving onto gas.
It is not the training centre you are paying that you have to convince but GasSafe or more importantly the people you will be expecting to part with their hard cash!!

You might also want to take a look at some more posts relating to gas on here, there was a guy on here posting this very morning, he is doing 10 jobs a day, 5 to 6 days aweek for £20K a year, it might not quite be the job you have been lead to believe it is ??

There's plenty of people keen to put you off, if you want to do gas, you will be taken more seriously if you do basic plumbing first. Starting with the city and guilds plumbing 6035, buy it :)
Its gas i want to do i yhought it would be a good idea to get a basic knowledge of the plumbing side first

No employer I know Rob will take him seriously with anything other than a 6189 NVQ, they have been taken too many times by persons posing as a Plumber cos they hold a piece of paper, when the reality is that onsite they can't put a piece of pipe in & earn the employer any money.

You imply I am keen to put the OP off, on the contrary, I want more people to join the trade, just so long as they have the skills, knowledge & passion to be a professional & not someone who is learning as they go, taking money from unsuspecting customers & dragging down rates to a point where those who are pro's (& want to continue to act as one) are struggling to maintain standards & make ends meet.

Last edited:
If the course does offer you the weeks of on-site experience required to gain your GasSafe registration then I'd go for it :)

Doing what - Fires, cookers, meters, pipework installations not just putting a boilers on a wall, I hope?
Do you honestly think this will provide you with enough practical experience to be able to work as a gas engineer, we don't just do the gas on a boiler as you seem to understand, so I would start the other way round like most do, learn the plumbing / heating side first before moving onto gas.
It is not the training centre you are paying that you have to convince but GasSafe or more importantly the people you will be expecting to part with their hard cash!!

You might also want to take a look at some more posts relating to gas on here, there was a guy on here posting this very morning, he is doing 10 jobs a day, 5 to 6 days aweek for £20K a year, it might not quite be the job you have been lead to believe it is ??
Of course I know it’s more than boilers am not under the impression after the 6 months course you know everything be a gas engineer and
Be confident enough to do gas work my idea was to do the course work along side a plumber get a couple years of experience then go for nvq

If the course you sign up to doesn't offer you a work placement (they can promise one thing and deliver another) then without doubt the hardest part of your plan will be getting to work alongside an engineer. I spoke to a gas engineer who did qualify late in life, but worked for free for 2 years to get there.

If the course you sign up to doesn't offer you a work placement (they can promise one thing and deliver another) then without doubt the hardest part of your plan will be getting to work alongside an engineer. I spoke to a gas engineer who did qualify late in life, but worked for free for 2 years to get there.
I think that’s why this course is a wee big dearer as they guarantee a work placement

Of course I know it’s more than boilers am not under the impression after the 6 months course you know everything be a gas engineer and
Be confident enough to do gas work my idea was to do the course work along side a plumber get a couple years of experience then go for nvq

Try finding that plumber first, you may get an idea of just how hard even that can be unless you have family in the trade.
Use the search box for previous posts just like yours.

Thats the way to do it.
Have you got a gas person lined up to work with?

Listen to what some of the guys are saying.
I don’t see how you can work as a gas engineer without a sound plumbing/heating knowledge.
It’s not all roses, I can speak from experience. Whilst ‘on the books’ I was expected to complete eight landlord and services daily and that’s fairly common. Sorry but I don’t agree with these short
direct access courses.

Reply to Plumbing books nvq or city and guilds in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock