Discuss plumbing apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was only 1 option when i did it, dont know why they split it??? i think it was just for mature workers at first, direct nvq

just thought, did you do the domestic H&V? there are 2 options commercial or domestic

domestic mate - there were 13 doing domestic 2 doing commercial different portolio and tracking for both sets.

you get the choice at start --- depending on what your employer was mainly doing

right, hence the confusion mate!!! there was never a domestic version when i did it, i did the commercial and industrial version as that was the only one!
why have a domestic H&V? why not just do plumbing?

because it concentrates more on the heating side of things - the amount of plumber around here who do just bathrooms is unreal. the real job opportunities arise in the heating and fault finding sector - I'm lucky that i can supply and fit high end bathrooms - fit kitchens to a high standard - but i specialize in heating and i really want to get into renew ables. my heating and vent domestic course was the course that suited my requirements - i would never let anyone slag it off without looking into it. especially if taught by the right bloke.

i had to travel 40 Miles round trip to college that done this course when there is a college literally 5 minutes walk that does plumbing, but the college i went to had a teacher ex Worcester engineer - amazing guy very friendly and as i was a lot older i learnt a lot off him while the 16 yr olds were messing about. Its a great course imo - we had visits to various boiler manufacturers and training days.

Last edited by a moderator:
i get ya, i do worry that we are creating to many varients of courses. it used to be much more straight forward

i get ya, i do worry that we are creating to many varients of courses. it used to be much more straight forward

possibly - but i do think a choice is beneficial.

the heating and vent domestic is a course concentrated on heating - no lead work not much sanitary you just had to cover a some cold some hot and some heating - obviously cold and hot come under bathrooms, cwsc etc in level 2 and heating well thats self explanatory good course that offers a different outlook to someone more concentrated in the heating department of plumbing.

there will be a domestic heating course coming out with the new plumb course next year, if H&V do the same we have 4 courses instead of 2! is it wise?

prob not - but if theyre doing the domestic heating one - the heating and vent dometsic may go and be replaced by that one - and let the heating and vent concentrate on cemmercial and industrial once again~?

maybe, it seems to make sence to me. the only prob with dom heating is it literally is the plumb course without sanitation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 you may as well do one more unit and get the lot!

does the plumbing course go into heating as much as the heating and vent? to me i would rather learn more about heating as that is where the complications arise more frequently - i am talking from a view of serving my time doing bathrooms, kitchens and heating - i found heating the more difficult to master and the course helped no end with that - where as once i done a few stacks and a few bathrooms - the rest seemed pretty easy.

i dunno each to there own i suppose it does cater for people just in heating and if the new course is anything like the old one you have to cover hot water cold water and heating - so your hot and cold water jobs were my bathrooms and kitchens - i also hgad to cover 2 soil stacks. i will dig up my old nvq level 2 folder to see what it says was required the level 3 was a lot more heating based - still covered water regs etc though.

i dont know if the modern H&V goes into heating more or not. it did 20 odd years ago but things have changed. we also did gas at l2, commercial heating systems, steam heating, high pressure hot water, all that still part of l2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbing apprentice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock