Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing apprentice for level 2 & 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

I am currently looking for employment to continue my apprenticeship NVQ Level 2 at New College Durham. I have already spent a year doing a full time level 2 NVQ qualification and would like to continue the assessments needed that would obtain the full qualification and I would like to continue with a permanent employment if available.

I have a placement at New College Durham; they would like me to find an employer to finish my level 2 and to continue the following year onto level 3. If theres any employer interested in taking on a 21 year old with a full clean driving licence within the north east preferably County Durham area then please contact me rather though these forum rooms or at the following information below.

Number: 07833554303
E-Mail: [email protected]

If you require any additional information dont hesitate to ask, i can send my CV upon request and references.

Last edited by a moderator:
No i have already done my Level 2 Plumbing Technical Certificate ( Year 1 )

Safety in Plumbing activities
Key Plumbing principles
Common Plumbing processes
Cold water systems
Domestic hot water systems
Sanitation systems
Central heating systems
Electrical supply and earth continuity
Sheet lead weathering
Environmental awareness in Plumbing
Effective working relationships in the Plumbing industry
Basic Plumbing studies core underpinning knowledge (Question Paper)
Basic Plumbing studies practical tasks

I have covered the following above and past all my exams, i need to continue onto NVQ 2 Year 2

not sure what you meant of year 1 of nvq thats why i asked. the tech cert is a different qual or it can be done alongside. youve done the tech cert and want to do the additional nvq units.

This could be a little confusing i will explain futher, the college provides placements for students that are unable to get an employer for the 2 year apprenticeship NVQ level 2 qualification. However they half the qualification making it into 1 year covering theory/exams with workshop assessments.

For me to get the full qualification i need an employer to take me on to continue the second part which is the on job site assessments, hope this makes more sense for anyone reading if you have any futher questions feel free ask.

so they do the tech cert in 1 year. if you get an employer you upgrade or do the other units to get it up to the industry recognised nvq2 in year 2

As far as i know i would continue where i left off doing the other units to get it up to the industry recognised nvq2 in year 2.

hi mate..yeh i understand what your saying.. im in the same position im ready to start my nvq level 2 in sept, but i also need an employer to take me on before i cando the course..thats just the requirement you need to do the nvq level 2.. good luck with your search!

hi mate..yeh i understand what your saying.. im in the same position im ready to start my nvq level 2 in sept, but i also need an employer to take me on before i cando the course..thats just the requirement you need to do the nvq level 2.. good luck with your search!
have you done your tech cert ?

no not done that they said i can go straight onto the nvq 2 if i find an employer

yeh true, thats the stumbling block for everyone, the course aint the issue, the employer bit is. gets me when people keep applying to colleges, the first question is always the same, are you employed?

Yes its getting me really worried, the last thing i want to do is move in another direction job wise. There are jobs where theres only 1 placement and 400+ people applying and they dont tell you until your in the room sitting a math and english exam most people walked out when they announce it at durham county council. That kind of problem in the north east is not rare and its hard to show what your capable of when they dont base you as a person but only on your math and english skills. Dont get me wrong they are essential to the job role and its in there right to get the cream of the top of the plie but it can be a disadvantage to many skilled hard working people.

Dont give up miguelchide the college your course is at may give you a option which you do 1 year rather then 2 years with out an employer covering the exams/theory this is what i had to do and should give you a head start when looking for employment.

Can either of you tell me which qualification I would need (if any) before I started on the NVQ level 2 apprenticeship?

You dont need anything to start the level 2 apart from the college itself will sit you though a math and english with another basic plumbing exam to see if your keyskills level meet there requirements. You only need to do this if you do not have A-C grades in english and math, if you so happen to not pass there requirements resulting you noting meeting standard math and english level 2 theres a chance that your college may place you on level 1 which is half the units of level 2. Level 1 is mainly for students to go to level 2 once complete.

As far as i know they dont do level 1 anymore if thats the case then your keyskills to get onto the course is a major step to continue with the career you would like to take up in any trade.

So to top it all off all you need is your GCSE A-C in math and english if you dont have these you need to take a exam in math and english keyskills to get onto the NVQ level 2 apprenticeship at the college, as far as the employer its a matter of location, pay and you as a person fitting your role as a plumbers apprentice.

hope this helps

regards nvq2 and having an employer. I have recently started c&g 6189 (formerly 6128) NVQ2 and i am not in employment. We are doing hokme study and 5 weeks in centre to do the practical ellement. Apparently at the end, it will be down to us to then find an employer to get assessed for the NVQ2,does this seem right?

you need an employer to pass the 6089 nvq or the new 6189 nvq. I am surpirsed people are doing the 6189 if they dont have a job! you must know how hard it is for people to get employment and you are taking a course you are highly unlikely to succeed in

you need an employer to pass the 6089 nvq or the new 6189 nvq. I am surpirsed people are doing the 6189 if they dont have a job! you must know how hard it is for people to get employment and you are taking a course you are highly unlikely to succeed in

Its all confuisng. I originally applied to do the 6128, which i think does not include the nvq2? I was then told that they had upgraded me free to the new 6189 nvq2. I then recieved, AFTER payimg me thousnads, a letter through explaining that to pass the nvq i would need to be asssessed on the job, at 300 pounds an assessment, and it would be donw to me to find the work. \i queried this as i had not been told this before, and was told that you can be NVQ qualified, doesnt mean you have to be assessed??and that nost employers would only be inbterested in the city and guilds qualification most??

cheers albert.. think good luck maybe drifting my way..i had a plumber say he might be able to let me come out with him for some experience on a few jobs so now i will definetely be able to get onto my college course now with a job so im happy about that!!

mmmm.... let you go out with him now and then,,,,, get on college course? not as an apprentice you wont

yes as an apprentice..said he will try me out to see how i get on!

Thats great news good luck with that im sure he take you on for the apprenticeship

try you out and apprenticeship are 2 different things. it may lead to an apprenticeship but it isnt one. You will not get a college apprenticeship framework place unless you are employed. odd weekend and evening is not employed.

I wish you luck and hope this does lead to an apprenticeship but beware that what you have currently based on what youve said is not an apprenticeship

thanks albert..@ fuzzy, thet said they will give me a trial and see how i am, there not gonna take me straight on as an apprentice without a work trial, so if all goes well i will have a job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing apprentice for level 2 & 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock