Search the forum,

Discuss Plumber Or Sky Engineer?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

ninjastealth187

Hello guys,

New to this forum.

I am after a bit of advice if possible.

I am currently at college studying the City and Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate, in order to go on to the NVQ Level 2 which I have already arranged with a Plumber that I know.

Anyway.....Since then I have been offerred a position that I applied for a long while ago as a Sky Satellite installation engineer.
You are supplied with a van, all tools required to do the job and full training for which you recieve a city and guilds level 2 in digital television and satellite installations.

The average earnings are £23000 per annual.

My question is.....am I likeley to meet £23000 per year as a newley qualafied plumber with a company / self employed?? If not what is a realistic figiure to expect?

I have heard that newly qualified plumbers (nvq l2 standard) are no longer sought after.

I suppose I am asking your opinions on whether to drop out of college to join Sky, or to stick with the plumbing??

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreceated.

If relevant I am a 26 y/o male with a wife and 3 kids all under 5.

Thank you in advance for your help guys / gals!

Hello guys,

New to this forum.

I am after a bit of advice if possible.

I am currently at college studying the City and Guilds 6129 Technical Certificate, in order to go on to the NVQ Level 2 which I have already arranged with a Plumber that I know.

Anyway.....Since then I have been offerred a position that I applied for a long while ago as a Sky Satellite installation engineer.
You are supplied with a van, all tools required to do the job and full training for which you recieve a city and guilds level 2 in digital television and satellite installations.

The average earnings are £23000 per annual.

My question is.....am I likeley to meet £23000 per year as a newley qualafied plumber with a company / self employed?? If not what is a realistic figiure to expect?

I have heard that newly qualified plumbers (nvq l2 standard) are no longer sought after.

I suppose I am asking your opinions on whether to drop out of college to join Sky, or to stick with the plumbing??

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreceated.

If relevant I am a 26 y/o male with a wife and 3 kids all under 5.

Thank you in advance for your help guys / gals!

Hi i think you should go with which ever one you will enjoy more. Funny thing though i live in the south of england and i see a ad for Sky engineers in my local rag . Was only £14500p.a though. Im 33 and im fed up with dead end jobs because i did not listen to my mum and dad when they said do well at school and get a trade. That why i am doing a course. As long as i dont earn the min wage anymore i'm happy. But at the same time i understand why you would goto Sky because of your family. I also had the same problem as i have kids.:D

my advice would be take the job with sky if your lucky as a plumber you would get a job at around 25k to 27k but there is alot out there after the same job if you go self employed you may get 23k a year in 2 or 3 years after you build up your customers

Having been with Sky I would say go for Gas as a self employed fitter or plumber again self employed but have a back up for the lean times I drive hgv for an agency. but be aware that after Christmas till end feb can de a dead time for all trades

i doubt u will earn 23k a yr fitting sky dishes. i've worked for ntl and other digital tv/broadband companys. yeah you get a van full of tools with fuel paid for if your lucky but its not as simple as it sounds. when i did it i had around 8-9 installs a day which ment a hour a job which so thats 8-9 hrs a day without the driving to the next customer and if u get any problems that will hold you up your looking at a possible 12hr day for 8hrs work. i'd thin about it a bit more before you jump in with both feet. ;)

You got a wife and kids, Sky is the way to go, to uncertain in plumbing at the moment ,things are quiet for guys that have been in the trade for 20 yrs or more and with a loyal customer base...no brainer. You aint gonna get rich plumbing believe me, the exaggerated wages do no one any good other than the 'training establishments'.

I would stay away from sky
its not a future for you. Might be ok for a year or 2 but hard work. Have you thought about CCTV etc can be good money and far less regs to deal with!!

Plumbing is part of the building trade, so hence forth is affected by economic downturn & boom times. The building trade is always the first to suffer & last to recover, as my old dad always said its famine or feast.so,s you makes your choice & lives with it. I've been in the plumbing game for 34 years & could you say the same about yourself if you chose sky?

Hahahha quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumber Or Sky Engineer?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock