Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss please help! over 3 months without shower! in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. annawoolgar

annawoolgar New Member

hi,

on 1st May we started our bathroom refit - including fitting a new shower cubicle with a smartap shower instead of a bath and electric shower, we were advised by our plumber to buy a positive head pump (ct60b), however, this did not appear to work, so we had to purchase a negative head pump (esp50cpv), as advised by smartap, we have tried everything to get the shower working properly, including moving the evalve into airing cupboard. Our shower will still not work - the evalve says it is not getting the 1 bar required to operate, my plumber says he cannot see a problem, but there obviously is one as the shower only trickles, its been so frustrating and i am not sure what to do now, I tried to return the shower about a month ago, with the mind to just install another electric one, but smartap would not authorise a refund due to it not being their fault. please advise,
    upload_2018-8-11_13-13-20.jpeg

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Any chance of a few pics of the pump etc ?

3. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber

Bathroom cold tap is plumbed in wrong on your drawing. Nice drawing by the way.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sammathias

sammathias Plumber GSR

The pump isn't kicking in?

5. Tim S

Tim S New Member

Hi..some photo's of the install would help...is there a reason why the pump couldn't be installed at the base of the hot water cylinder ?(which would have saved you the cost of a universal/negative head pump).
    Have you tried bypassing the processor in the loft?.
    Why did Smartap say it was NOT their fault..did they send an authorised engineer?
    If we could see the install the problem might be obvious!

6. annawoolgar

annawoolgar New Member

How is cold tap plumbed in wrong? It comes out of cold tank in loft and then splits into taps and pump. Thanks for your reply xx

7. annawoolgar

annawoolgar New Member

I can get photos later, I don’t know why plumber didn’t put pump at base of hot tank, he put it halfway down, I have bypassed the evalve to check water pressure but obviously have no control over temperature. Thanks for replying xx

8. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

Could either be that

A) airlocked, could be in a few places
    B) filters blocked on loft unit or pump
    C) piped up incorrectly

Take your pick

9. annawoolgar

annawoolgar New Member

Some photos of pump - please excuse the messy pipe work - it’s been swapped about so many times, it will be tidied once all working xx

CA57767E-19D8-4B7D-A000-EDEB90D97664.jpeg

2F9EC493-7B2E-48F4-8F12-D618227EA548.jpeg

4A1A10B0-F044-4F3C-B742-F4EB54E7C56B.jpeg

10. Meady

Meady Plumber GSR

Judging by that install it’s no wonder he can’t figure it out :eek::eek::eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

thats bad

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. bogrodder

bogrodder GSR

That’s never a professional install

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. annawoolgar

annawoolgar New Member

It was installed by a plumber but we used existing pipe work when trying different things out, so I am to blame for that, the smartap tech had me change the pump, and try the shower evalve in the airing cupboard too, the plumber has been round but said he would sort it all out when problem is sorted xx
    I am wondering if the problem could be because the flow from cold tank is split, so therefore has less pressure, a couple of times the pump has got too hot so that would make sense too - so if that is the case how can I fix it?
    Can I run a new pipe from tank? Or do I feed shower directly from mains but then can I use same pump due to not running cold through? Am I able to block it off or do I need to buy a single impeller pump? I need to be able to test a solution first before I throw more money at my plumber xx

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  14. Meady

Meady Plumber GSR

Where does the hot pipe from the pipe connect onto? And yes a dedicated cold feed would help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. annawoolgar

annawoolgar New Member

From the top of the hot water tank one pipe feeds the pump/shower and the metal pipe that goes across to the corner feeds the taps xx