Search the forum,

Discuss Please Help - Newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gizmo

Hi, I think this is the right forum - I'm really new to this but have a question I can't seem to find an answer to elsewhere.
My electric immersion heater stopped working yesterday, so I did a quick google search on replacing and found numerous guides and diagrams on replacing - problem is all the info I have found shows the immersion as sited into the tank but of course mine had to be different - the only electrical connection going anywhere near the tank runs to the base of a vertical copper cylinder about 12" tall, 2 1/2" Diameter - two thin pipes one on the side running into the side of the main tank, the other from the top running to the top of the main tank. I assume this is the heater unit. Is there anything "special" I need to know about replacing the thermostat on this or is it the same procedure as those connected directly into the main tank. Sorry for asking what may be daft questions but I don't want to start this and then come unstuck.
Thanks In advance.
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you post a pic, so we can see what you are talking about?

It's under "Manage Attachments" further down the page when you reply.

Hi, many thanks, pic attached.
Jim

Attachments

• Cylinder.jpg
    Cylinder.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 49
Hi, many thanks, pic attached.
Jim
in thirrty odd years ive never seen one like that yes it does look like the imersion at the bottom of the large pipe on the right of picture
looks like it will be dificult to change id try and disconnect the whole thing and remove the imersion on a bench
it must be very old and obviously some sort of add on to allow an imersion to be incorerated into the systen
my opinon would be to change the cylinder for a new foam lagged one which will save money long term

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply, the bit I'm confused about is that the main tank does not seem that old and has the what appears to be an entry point at the top for a standard immersion unit - pic attached, so can't understand why the seperate unit is there.
Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• top_of_main_tank.jpg
    top_of_main_tank.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 33
Hi. The plug on top of the cylinder will fit the boss you are removing the immersion heater from. The new immersion needs to be long enough to reach down just short of the cylinder bottom. (Be aware the bottom is domed, so allow say at least 4" off the measurement) Good Luck

i'm with steve, never seen anything like it before, and ive seen a lot. best call your local plumber round, who will probably class it as ancient and want to replace the lot.
as steve says a new cylinder would be nice, however if the old one worked ok and you wish to just fix it, post some more close up pics of the "gadget" where the electric goes in, are you sure there are no more wires going into the cylinder?

let us know for everybody's benefit please

more pics please, whats under the cylinder? i would like to see the whole set up, just for experience sake.. thanks

Thanks to all for the interest - I really don't get the setup of the tank as rthe house is only about 24 years built. Here's some extra pics - hope it helps.
Cheers
Jim

Attachments

• cyl1.jpg
    cyl1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 16
  • cyl2.jpg
    cyl2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11
  • cyl3.jpg
    cyl3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 17
  • cyl4.jpg
    cyl4.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 12
  • cyl5.jpg
    cyl5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 15
Just one more - sorry, almost impossible to get everything into one frame.
Again Many Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• cyl6.jpg
    cyl6.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 13
is this a back boiler set-up? with expansion under cylinder?.
i guess its about 25yrs old, and thats old enough to be replaced.

Never seen anything like it, but interested to know if anyone can explain......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please Help - Newbie in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock