Discuss Plastic Central Heating Filters TF1 is metal better? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Fernox TF1 made of plastic. It always seems to leak a bit after being serviced and needs the joints tightened up. Occasionally it has leaked quite a lot (enough for a puddle after being unnoticed for a while). I don't like the top cap which has threads that are stiff and awkward (even with silicone grease). Is the metal version any better (TF1 Omega) and does anyone know if it's a straight swap without alteration of the existing isolators (in other words does it drop straight in to an existing TF1 plastic installation).

It's this one: The Industry Favourite, Award Winning, TF1 Omega Filter by Fernox

Yes straight swap but you need the omega with valves

The omega is much better.
You don’t need to remove the lid to service the plastic ones.

Omega far far better in my opinion the Tf1 is ok if you want a water feature indoors ha ha a common fault I am afraid . kop

20161104_152223.jpg

20161104_124847.jpg

Screenshot_20190514-062751_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
The omega is much better.
You don’t need to remove the lid to service the plastic ones.

Yes, I know this but my gas man insists on taking the lid off. I tend to clean out every few months by closing off the valves, removing the magnet, opening the bottom valve over a bucket and then slightly opening the feed side valve which lets the rubbish out into the bucket. It certainly works very well. I had it installed when I had a new boiler some years back and the rubbish it collected was substantial. Now there is much much less.

Last edited:
Omega far far better in my opinion the Tf1 is ok if you want a water feature indoors ha ha a common fault I am afraid . kop

View attachment 38832

View attachment 38833

View attachment 38834

That looks a very neat unit. I think I'll wait until the next annual service. I had to have the system partially drained recently and it has only just had the inhibitor replenished so I don't want to waste that. The TF1 is behaving (for now) after a bit of a tighten up.

I have replaced the TF1 before with the omega why does it have to be with valves as you posted? just a question

The other ones have compression fittings not flat face threads

Reply to Plastic Central Heating Filters TF1 is metal better? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back