Search the forum,

Discuss Pipes into stud walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, our doer upper currently has radiators that have been fitted with pipes running down the walls. We would like them to be hidden in the stud walls. Reading up, some people say use plastic, others say do it with copper. I think I'd prefer copper but would that mean my plumber would have to make lots of joints in the wall or is it done in one piece of pipe with a bend at the end? Should these be insulated in the wall as well?

It would depend on how the wall was built - noggins etc
It may be possible to get a full length of copper in but it’s probably going to be more work and so more money than useing plastic.

It isnt really necessary to have more than one join when running copper pipes in stud wall. Depending on the stud wall and whats above it, you can sometimes feed a full length of copper up and then drop it back down the wall. If not then feed half a length up, half a length down and join in the middle.

Nothing old school about it. There’s a right and a wrong way to do things. In 99% of cases when you run plastic in a wall you end up with at least 1 fitting in the wall or in plaster

One thing to be aware of before you start taking big chunks out of stud walls is that they can be structural too. Some stud walls are just partitions, others may be holding parts of your house up. If it’s the latter I’d think twice about weakening it by notching, probably OK if you drill but then again depends where and how much.

Planning is the key. Plastic comes in much much longer lengths than copper so the need to joint is much less, and is much more flexible to route through stud walls if you need to drill noggins and upright timbers.

I only use copper.
Anywhere you drill through noggins etc, be sure to wrap something around the pipe to prevent creaks when pipes are heating and cooling.

Reply to Pipes into stud walls in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock