Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe sizing questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

JLS

Hi all, still working on my portfolio but having a bit of confusion regarding allowances for fittings when working out pipe size requirements as I'm reading conflicting information. In college we were told to allow 0.5m for Tees and elbows and 0.3m for bends. My Viper gas handbook says the same but only up to 28mm but doesn't say anything about 35mm, whereas my BPEC book gives completely different values going as high as 3m for a 35mm Tee with the flow exiting into the branch. I appreciate that it's the end result that is important and so long as there is less than 1mb drop at the appliance it will be fine but I'd like to be able to be sure the installation designed is going to work before I put it in.
The specific case I'm looking at is proving quite tricky to me as its an extended bungalow with two boilers, one at one end, the other in the middle, a cooker in the middle but on the opposite side and the meter at the other end so the runs are rather long.

Here you go bud this is from bepec core domestic gas safety learning manual . Cheers kop

20180908_061939.jpg

20180908_061953.jpg

Thanks Kop, but that's the information I was referring to. I was wondering if the BPEC manual used different values as it uses a different method. Unfortunately I can't try the calculation using their way as my max flow rate is 6.95 m3/hr and outside the table range given and I can't justify the £200+ for BS6891

In college we were told to allow 0.5m for Tees and elbows and 0.3m for bends.
Can you elaborate? The way I've heard about is to allow a certain number of pipe diameters for a fitting eg 60 diameters for a tee or square elbow, 40 for a rounded elbow etc. So the equivalent length of pipe varies with the pipe diameter. As you'd expect if you look at the theory.
I can see why gas installers want to use pressure drop tables, but I prefer to use
upload_2018-9-8_15-47-32.png

where f = friction factor, from a table or formula, but usually in range 0.005 - 0.007, sigma n = number of velocity pressures for fittings, rho = density.
Or, using equivalent pipe length
upload_2018-9-8_16-2-9.png

which shows why the equivalent pipe length is a number of diameters, as the D cancels.

any good?

ive got the viper one but its the same upto 28mm

0.3 bend
0.5 elbow
0.5 tee

Pipe Sizing.jpg

Can you elaborate?
The way I've heard about is to allow a certain number of pipe diameters for a fitting eg 60 diameters for a tee or square elbow, 40 for a rounded elbow etc. So the equivalent length of pipe varies with the pipe diameter. As you'd expect if you look at the theory.
I can see why gas installers want to use pressure drop tables, but I prefer to use
View attachment 34406
where f = friction factor, from a table or formula, but usually in range 0.005 - 0.007, sigma n = number of velocity pressures for fittings, rho = density.
View attachment 34407
which shows why the equivalent pipe length is a number of diameters, as the D cancels.

1.Not really we were just told to use .5 and .3 no mention of it varying with pipe size
2.So that's another figure to play with !:confused:
3.Looks impressive but I have no idea where to find that information

Is that from BS 6891 Shaun? I'll have a look at the BPEC method using those figures and see if I can make head or tail of it.

yes it should be but you also have to look at which way the tee is feeding

1.Not really we were just told to use .5 and .3 no mention of it varying with pipe size
2.So that's another figure to play with !:confused:
3.Looks impressive but I have no idea where to find that information
From Shaun's table I worked out ratio of equivalent length to dia for Types 3 and 5 below. Used the steel pipe diameters, as the actual bore is reasonably close to the nominal size. As you can see, the ratios are fairly constant, and fairly close to what I said earlier (the variations aren't due to actual differences in pressure drop, the figures in the table will be rounded, and it's not an exact science anyway).
upload_2018-9-9_15-11-1.png

So I think it would be more useful to give one figure for number of pipe diameters for each type. It wouldn't take long to memorise most of them! But if that's the way the gas industry wants to do it...........
Also if you're designing for 1mbar pressure drop, you know the flow and have calculated the effective length (actual length + fittings equivalent, based on an assumed diameter) you could use the table to find the smallest pipe dia which meets the required flow at the effective length (and iterate if the pipe size is different from the initial assumption). But to calculate actual pressure drop for a given flow, diameter and length would need a bit of thought.
I'm with kop, if you post a sketch we can have a look at it. But include your anticipated pipe sizes, can't speak for kop but I don't want to design it from scratch.

Can you elaborate? The way I've heard about is to allow a certain number of pipe diameters for a fitting eg 60 diameters for a tee or square elbow, 40 for a rounded elbow etc. So the equivalent length of pipe varies with the pipe diameter. As you'd expect if you look at the theory.
View attachment 34406
View attachment 34407
Are you serious?

Hi all, still working on my portfolio but having a bit of confusion regarding allowances for fittings when working out pipe size requirements as I'm reading conflicting information. In college we were told to allow 0.5m for Tees and elbows and 0.3m for bends. My Viper gas handbook says the same but only up to 28mm but doesn't say anything about 35mm, whereas my BPEC book gives completely different values going as high as 3m for a 35mm Tee with the flow exiting into the branch. I appreciate that it's the end result that is important and so long as there is less than 1mb drop at the appliance it will be fine but I'd like to be able to be sure the installation designed is going to work before I put it in.
The specific case I'm looking at is proving quite tricky to me as its an extended bungalow with two boilers, one at one end, the other in the middle, a cooker in the middle but on the opposite side and the meter at the other end so the runs are rather long.

If you use the info in the charts @ShaunCorbs and @king of pipes gave you, you should be fine. You won't be using sizes above 35mm Copper on domestic anyway and even if you do, you won't be able to use much of it.

Or am I missing what you're after?

I would more concerned at not going over 60kw input with two boilers and a gas cooker , two combis and a range cooker? will be boarder line 35mm is the maximum size pipework you can fit on a domestic ticket so 2 things to think about and don't forget to fit a purge/ test point at each boiler so you can test the true pressure drop across the carcass , kop

Reply to Pipe sizing questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock