Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Pipe coupler issue - connecting two male fittings in the Fittings & Pipes area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. student plumber

student plumber Member

That looks like a washing machine tee with iso valve, but does not look like 3/4", they tend to be wider and less turns on it.
    That must be 15mm nut and olive fitting surely? attached to pipe.
    Then pipe attaches to flexi as it did before and goes onto tap.
    Was that tee there before or did you do it?

2. Tozzy

Tozzy New Member

Ok I know this is a very late contribution, but I simply cannot believe that nobody has mentioned changing the flexi to one which has a 15mm x 1/2" female compression to connect that male threaded tee?? However, even if the flexi was suitable for the purpose of supplying an outside tap (which it isn't), I still can't comprehend why one would suggest joining 2 male threads together with a bit of offcut pipe and compression nuts over simply replacing the flexi with a female thread and rubber washer!

3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Because what you are saying is bad advice as the male thread on the isolation valve has a raised edge which will cut into the rubber washer on the female threaded part of the union causing the fitting to leak over time!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tozzy

Tozzy New Member

Well, what is the purpose of a female union if it isn't to connect to a male thread (please don't say to connect to a female thread with pipe offcut!)? I would never recommend connecting two males together with a very short or practically nonexistent offcut as when the unions are tightened, there isn't enough strength in the offcut to withstand the tightening and therefore a leak occurs.

5. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

The strength is the copper pipe inside both female unions.

6. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

For the hard of reading.

You would not connect a flexi conn onto a fitting designed for an olive. It will cut the rubber washer and leak.

Bad advice to suggest otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

They are designed for a male connector with a flat edge. Not a raised edge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Harvest Fields

I was trying to be nice mate. But your point sounds much better:p:p:p

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

the nut on a tap connector itsnt a female iron its a loose nut with a pressed rubber washer

10. Tozzy

Tozzy New Member

Ah right, I see. I didn't realise there were 2 types of edges - thought they were all with raised edges. I can totally understand that then. Thanks for pointing that out. By the way I'm not a plumber, just a DIYer plumber :D

Well thing is, I've attempted to bridge two fittings together with a small offcut 15mm copper where the two fittings were practically touching each other, but when I tightened everything, it did actually weep so had to replace the offcut with a longer one. Yet, I've seen a plumber by trade do exactly the same thing and he tightened it so hard the fittings actually squeaked, yet his didn't leak!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  11. ShaunCorbs

the squeak is how you know there correctly tighten

i normally use wras approved jointing compound which helps stop the fitting squeak

you will soon find how much to tighten compression fittings just takes some practice

12. Tozzy

Tozzy New Member

Well, rather than using an offcut to connect two fittings closely together, lets say for instance a PRV and an inlet strainer upstream of it, would a female to female equal bush still be sufficient?

Definitely true what they say you learn something new everyday (awesome to learn about those two male edges)

13. rpm

rpm Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Is this in your home?

14. ShaunCorbs

I would use a female threaded prv and line strainer

Male iron prv short nipple strainer male iron

15. Tozzy

Tozzy New Member

In a holiday home abroad where the water pressure is so high that it's ruining kitchen fittings etc. I've already bought my PRV and inlet strainer, but the thing is, due to cold winters, piping is all done in PPR so I want to avoid the use of copper. Sorry this thread has deviated slightly.

Thanks but hmm it's tricky for me to understand and visualise. Perhaps a link would help. But would my fittings be adequate?

RELIANCE PREDATOR ADJUSTABLE 1-6 BAR PRESSURE REDUCING VALVE 15MM WITH GUAGE PRV | eBay

Bsp Female to Female Equal Bush ,Bsp Adaptors Connecting Socket Brass Nickel | eBay

IN-LINE Y TYPE STRAINER 15mm Brass Body | eBay

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017