Search the forum,

Discuss Pipe Bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to bend a 22mm class I pipe into a full 360 degree turn. I need the inside diameter of the bend to be a nominal 95mm. I'm hoping to avoid making up specific tooling because of the expense and wondered if anyone had any ideas how I might do it.

I have available a standard plumbing type 15/22mm pipe bender which will produce a finished radius of about 100mm so it's a starting point at least. I also have some bending springs and the usual general workshop tools. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Pipe Bend.jpg

you might get a u bend but without rollers I doubt you would get a full 360 back over its self.you could call cylinder manufacturers and ask if they would make for you

you might get a u bend but without rollers I doubt you would get a full 360 back over its self.you could call cylinder manufacturers and ask if they would make for you
Thanks, I have a hydraulic bender at work for thick walled pipe that can do a 180 degree bend, we use it for bending 316L seamless pipework for heat exchangers but I only have the bending dies for sizes between 1¼" and 3½ inch. To make a new bending die set just for a once-off isn't an option and I also can't do a continuous 360 on it without making 2 x 180's with a 4 inch flat section between them because of the way the tooling and clamps are arranged on the bed of the machine.

I need to find a way to do it by hand really. I was considering bending it 360 first with the hand bender then annealing the pipe then packing it full of glass beads or even sand and welding the ends closed, then attempt to work it by hand into a tighter circle. Yeah, I know it's probably not the ideal plan hence my quest for advice.

It's a component for a coffee roaster I'm making by the way. It will be visible so I need it to look half decent once I've finished bending it.

Last edited:
As above.
Anneal it, fill with water, freeze it, bend around somthing the diameter you need. Then reform the shape with hammers. Or force 1/2 ball bearings through to reform.

Interested to know if the annealing and bending works on that tight diameter without it kinking.

If not make up a copper spigot and solder two halves, polished up the solder line will hardly be noticeable.

Unfortunately I don't have tooling for pipes as small as 22mm and I'd rather make it without a joint if I can for better aesthetics.

I'm going to try the ice trick tomorrow, I have plenty of pipe to play with so I'm not worried if it's a learning curve (no pun intended) with some attempts going in the scrap bin.

I just had a dry run by hand. I made a 360 with the hand bender and with a bending spring inserted which was straight forward then annealed the pipe with the spring still in it and worked it by hand down to about 90mm. It just started to ripple on the internal surface at that diameter. The whole process took about 30 minutes then another hour and a half to get the spring back out :(.

I'll have another go with ice when I have the time and see if the results are any better.

untitled1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe Bending in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock