Search the forum,

Discuss [Photos] Should I have this boiler removed for loft conversion replace with megaflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

365drills

LOFT CONVERSION COMING

This system is 10 years old and placed up in the loft.

Situation:

1) its right where the staircase will finish as you enter the loft conversion so must be moved.

2) The water tank is high and heavy so will have to go somewhere

3) At ten years old maybe better to refesh the system while everything is in bits.

DSC_0485.jpg

The loft conversion company (a bloke) has said to rip all this out and put in a megaflow. There is a possibility to relocate the boiler but it might be easier to
just buy a new boiler.

The house will have three showers, one bath, four sinks and a central heating system.

Is mega flow the best way forward? Rip out the tanks and the cold water tank, thow out the boiler and refresh ?

R

DSC_0475.jpg

Re: [Photos] Should I have this boiler removed for loft conversion replace with mega

If you went for an unvented cylinder, not megaflow as they are overpriced and cack, you would have to make sure you had enough water flow and pressure to make it work first.

Re: [Photos] Should I have this boiler removed for loft conversion replace with mega

yes an unvented or simular system would be a good call if the cold main is suitable. I would suggest getting a good local engineer in rather than rely on a builder sorting it out. Atleast you have the choice and can vet the engineer.

get some quotes, they will have to test your cold main is suitable to be able to recommend a unvented/mains system.

Megaflow not all its cracked up to be then?

OK

DSC_0459.jpg

There is a lot of stuff to rip out of the loft so the plumbing pipes and equipment is not really a deal breaker.

I am sure they will replace it all with plastic pipes anyway (speed fittings)

I just believe there are many products that would be better value for money.

Personally i would fork out the extra and go with copper, have a plumber do all the plumbing and dont rely on the builder for it.

I just believe there are many products that would be better value for money.

We install oso cylinders normally, what do you fit?

Is this what you fit ?

fdsa.jpg

I prefer the units with an external expansion vessel. I've fitted Plumbcenters own brand, cracking unit (actually uses the megaflows immersions), warmflow (but wasn't as impressed), RM Stelflow was ok and Megaflows (younger and stupid and customer requirement).

Yep, my boss swears by them. Ask around on here as everyone has an opinion, i have only really installed oso so thats all i know.

all the connections are on the top facing back towards the wall, upto the 250 ltr versions have the expansion vessels ontop too. All covered up by the lid

they have a 26 (or 24) kw coil in the 150 ltrs and above versions, they give pretty good recovery times.

Last edited:

Richard is the builder planning on doing the plumbing works or does he have a plumber doing the work, I will gladly give you a quote

I am in Hoddesdon Herts EN11 and no the builder wants to do the Loft conversion seperatly "but knows a plumber" who will do it seperate.

So I am on the open market for quotes and ideas. You're more than welcome.

Richard. (Contact details below in the signature)

I'm only in Stevenage so not far for me, just doing some lunch then I"ll give you a ring

I am in Hoddesdon Herts EN11 and no the builder wants to do the Loft conversion seperatly "but knows a plumber" who will do it seperate.

So I am on the open market for quotes and ideas. You're more than welcome.

Richard. (Contact details below in the signature)

Just because he knows a guy doesnt mean you have to use him ! Get a few quotes of guys that you friends can recommend etc ! And cheaper isnt the best !

go for an unvented system. as long as you have a good pressure and flow (and pipe it up properly !!) you will have the best system possable for the amount of hot water outlets you have. I use the RM range or Potterton Gold. you need a 300 ltr at least. Can always give you a quote if needed

Definitly get someone who is personally recommended or someone you can verify will do a good job. I have seen so many bad jobs that a "builder" or his mate have done. Im sure the builder wouldn't turn the job down just because you are using another plumber. Builders dont always use a gas safe engineer. I have seen this more than once. I even came across one job a builder had done whilst carrying out a conversion and he had left the flue partly disconnected. The customer didnt even tell me that part just said the boiler wasn't working. The flame lift gave it away but I could have been stitched on that one.
Not saying every builder out there will do a bad job but I would definitly want to get a couple of quotes and employ my own plumber if I was you.

I will say !!! DO NOT allow your builder to do any work on your plumbing and electric !!!
get a plumber and spark to do the technical work and leave the builder to get on with roof and stricture of your conversion !

Well I have got Destroyer2813 coming round tommorow afternoon so I will let him loose on the house.

I suppose I had Better make sure I check his GasSafe card and do all the proper background checks on him...

Or should I let the fact he has done 1700+ posts be enough of a credibility check. :smiley2:

I guess a positive here - for all the forum posters - Is that the system (IE the forum) does work. And can lead to work too.
I have no problem letting experts do the work and charge the right rates. But I obviously want grreat advice on how to get that experience into my home.

Totally agree with the comments here. Let the builder build. And let the plumber plumb.

Watch this space....

Last edited by a moderator:

We all have seen Alex's installs and he has done some really nice installs !

Heres a bit of an update:

1) Loft conversion companies: We had four quotes in - one for ÂŁ28K one for ÂŁ33K one for ÂŁ40K and the last for ÂŁ45K

We have chosen the ÂŁ33K quote based on the fact the guy seems to know his stuff about loft conversions. But he did realise he was a bit over budget compared to ÂŁ28K quote so as a sweetner he offered to bankroll the boiler and tank move / changes.

2) Alex Lake: Many thanks to Alex who took time out to come over and size up the job in hand. I guess like all complex projects that involve a lot of trades (a loft job is complex!) its difficult sometimes for the client -me- to see the woods for the trees. Alex has confirmed a number of things: a) We have great water pressure and flow. b) We cant really keep the existing system because of the water tank taking up so much volume, system age and pipe runs.

3) Whats next: Alex was a great help but he can only do so much at this early stage.. What I need to do now are get proper drawings and plans. Once we find out how much space we have to play with (or not) that dictates what type of equipment you can have and also where to put it.

So based on Alex's excellent input I went ahead yesterday and appointed our loft conversion company.

That done they can go ahead and create the plans and drawings. Once I have them in place we can start to get quotes for the plumbing and heating system. Obviously its a given that the loft company will want to keep the plumbing in-house (because they are used to dealing with the same people) but I want to get the best system for the house and our needs, not what may be easier or cheaper for the loft company.

To be fair to the guy we have chosen he didnt seem worried about us using different trades / people. He may simply offer a portion of the cost as a cashback for us to go find our own plumber. So its good news. Obviously will keep this post up to date as things go.

Dont worry it will only be content relevent to the pluming and heating systems. Its not going to be a blow by blow of loft conversions!!!

There will be a full project about the Loft Conversion - with pics - but I chose to post it all over on the Contractors Forums - Best place I think? Not sure readers here are really interested in RSJ calculations, dormer lengths, insualtion choices and other LC related topics. !

No problem Richard Went with Dad then :lol: , as i said yesterday i would love to give you a independent quote for the plumbing side

Thanks Alex

Haha! (yes in joke) I went with Dad Alex..... (Experience over cost) Once I have those plans back from the architect I will send a copy over to you and we can really get our heads round the best place for the equipment to sit and what's needed quote wise.

Hey Destroyer (Alex) I am going to give you a call this morning to see if you fancy quoting to do the work. Update on situation.
1) I selected DAD to do the loft but DAD wants to bring his own trades to the job for reasons of workmanship consistency and trust.
2) Dad is just about to start work today and curveball from the Plumber. He's going on holiday for 2 weeks.
3) Scaffolding is arriving today - 11th July 2013 - And Loftdad wants to get on with job but wants boiler out of the way.

See its all fun and we are not even into the meat of the project yet !!

fdsfa.jpg

WE HAVE OUR PLANS !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to [Photos] Should I have this boiler removed for loft conversion replace with megaflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock