Search the forum,

Discuss Phantom toilet flushes.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bugsyroo

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help? My downstairs loo has started to flush itself 3 or 4 times after each flush. It's obviously overflowing and them somehow rectifying itself but I can't work out how or why this is happening. I've attached a few pics of the inside of the inside of the cistern in case anyone has any ideas of what I should do to troubleshoot.

Many thanks in advance!

Bugsy

IMG_1983.jpgIMG_1982.jpgIMG_1981.jpg

Water level looks around 10mm high, start with adjusting the part in photo number1 to bring it down to the casting mark in the cistern.

Hi Rpm,

Many thanks for your response. I have just lowered the white float bit in pic 1 by screwing the grey bit (!). Once flushed the water starts to refill the cistern lifting the white float. When the float can go no higher the water continues to fill the cistern (from the bottom I believe) until a "phantom" flush is triggered because the water level is too high.

Lowering the white bit caused the flushes to seemingly go on indefinitely. Once I screwed it back to its original position it eventually stopped.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,

Bugsy

Lets see if anyone can suggest a repair kit or how-to-clean solution.

Fingers crossed! Unfortunately, since fiddling the cistern has been constantly filling and therefore flushing. I have had to turn off the flow to the downstairs loo and declare it "out of bounds!"

I fear that this might not be an issue I can rectify myself and will have to get a man in!

Hi Gasman,

Thanks for getting back to me. Would fitting a new inlet valve be something be something that I could tackle myself? - I'm a pretty confident DIYer (although not as young as I used to be!). If so, would you be able to point me in the direction of the appropriate part?

As ever, thanks for your help

Bugsy

Brilliant! Thank you Thereisawizza. I assume the valve is located under the white bit with the grey screw? (sorry for my amateur description!). Would you be able to advise how this would be attached and therefore removed?!

Many thanks

Bugsy

take big white nut off after isolating water supply.
theres a black washer behind that needs changing, or buy identical and change whole top section is easyist to do if not sure.

those valves are rubbish, sometimes its the plastic arm at fault and hard to detect!

Hi Redsaw,

Thanks everso much for your advice. That certainly sounds like something I can attempt in the morning!

Thanks again,

Bugsy

Last edited:
Gasman & Shaun,

This is great! Thank you so much for helping me out. I feel confident I can have a go at rectifying this problem now

All the best

Bugsy

Gasman & Shaun,

This is great! Thank you so much for helping me out. I feel confident I can have a go at rectifying this problem now

All the best

Bugsy

People landed on the Moon... you just have to make it happen, Bugsy.

Gasman & Shaun,

All the best

Bugsy

if you change the inlet valve,be careful you dont cross thread it,get yourself a new swivel washer to connect on,before removing the valve,isolate the supply and flush the toilet,some water will remain in the cistern,use a sponge to get it out,this way avoids making a mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Phantom toilet flushes.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock