Search the forum,

Discuss Petition to lower the VAT on repair and maintenance materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rossfraser2020

Hi everyone.

Sorry for the random posting, but I am looking for your help!

I am currently working on petitioning the government to reduce the VAT on building and repair materials to 5% from its current 17.5% status.

What would this mean?

A reduction of VAT to 5% in this area would not only assist individuals and businesses with maintaining and improving their existing properties but, by increasing the amount of building and maintenance repair work undertaken, this move will also be keeping the nation’s highly skilled employees in work during these difficult times. These trades people are a valuable asset to the industry as a whole and this is a vital opportunity to maintain and stimulate employment levels in the wider market.

In addition to this

A cut in VAT for home maintenance would also encourage people to undertake energy efficient improvements to their properties, which they may have previously discounted as too costly. This in turn would assist the government in meeting its target of reducing carbon emissions by 60 per cent by 2050.

The ironic thing about this is that there is whilst building new properties is exempt from VAT, the standard rate of 17.5% VAT is payable on building repair and maintenance.

What can you do?

If you have two minutes could you visit the petition page Petition to: reduce VAT on the cost of repairing and improving existing properties to encourage such activities. | Number10.gov.uk and fill in your details, I am trying to get 10'000 votes by April the 14th so your vote will really help!

We also have a facebook fanpage that you can become a member of to show your support. Rok Repairing Scotland | Facebook

Many thanks Ross

sorry but can you seriously beleive that this will happen

What about all the other trades that use other materials

You can claim the VAT back any way

Think you will be starting a petition to get it down from 20% soon :(

We do'nt like paying it but it is in great need at the moment

Yeah, would be nice to see but I agree I don't think it'll happen soon.

You can claim VAT back if you're VAT registered as said. The only people who really benefit out of lowered VAT is the customer of the tradesman who can't claim anything back if he is VAT registered.

There has been a campaign going for some time to get the VAT for repair to listed buildings and ancient monuments lowered to 5% and has had no success at all so you've really no chance with what you suggest above.

Why are you guys always expecting the worst.

It was the same when that guy came on here, asking for signatures for the boiler scrappage scheme. I remember reading a lot of comments from people saying its a waste of time, it's never going to happen etc.

Well, that guy didn't give up like some of you guys, and now you are probably benefiting from that.

I don't see no harm in signing, even if you believe it may not happen. This could benefit even VAT registered companies as it means that the customers will be paying less to the tax man and they will then be willing to spend more on you.

All right then anz,I will go and sign it then

That way if it happens its all down to me and if it do'nt happen I can say....told you so :p

You people don't know when you are well off, where I am its TVA (vat) on everything, and I mean everything, normal rate is 19.6%, new build is 5%, food is 21/2%

Cotisations, what the government takes from a trader in the way of NI, OAP, etc, is in the region of 40%, the actual workperson is a little bit better off the government only take about 20% of the wages

Then there is income tax but that's better than the UK, a single person can earn about £8000 before tax starts to kick in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Petition to lower the VAT on repair and maintenance materials in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock