Search the forum,

Discuss permanently dripping overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevejd58

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum as you will see below.

I have a multifuel gravity system with an electric immersion heater in the cylinder.

The external overflow has a constant drip all year round.
I've been in the loft where there are x3 tanks, the largest I assume is the main cold storage tank and the one of the two smaller for the fire/boiler and one for the immersion.
I've tried adjusting the levels of the tank with the outside overflow, even replaced the ball valve.

I must admit to being puzzled by this.
I want to see if this is a simple fix or something I need to pay a plumber to sort.

Fire is a Charnwood LA 50B

this is the layout of the tank connections

Take a look with a torch inside the tank, where the cold feed pipe connects near the bottom. Or it might be easier to isolate the mains supply & syphon the water out of the tank & take a careful look at the connection. If you see any water coming up & into the tank, then you probably have a hole in the coil of the cylinder & unfortunately need it all replaced. What make is the cylinder?

I should have added that if it is the cold storage tank overflowing it could also be mains water going through & mixer tap or mixer shower somewhere. A faulty monobloc sink mixer could have a pin hole in its casting & allowing the higher pressure mains to enter the lower pressure hot pipe & into cylinder & then up the cylinder feed to the bottom of the cwt.

I should have added that if it is the cold storage tank overflowing it could also be mains water going through & mixer tap or mixer shower somewhere. A faulty monobloc sink mixer could have a pin hole in its casting & allowing the higher pressure mains to enter the lower pressure hot pipe & into cylinder & then up the cylinder feed to the bottom of the cwt.

Wow Best,

That would be an unusual one even for an Old baldy git, I would have never thought of that

Wow Best,

That would be an unusual one even for an Old baldy git, I would have never thought of that

Yes, I have seen a few brand new taps doing this. Monobloc taps have very close water channels. I remember one man having overflow problems with new Ballvalve fitted etc until a guy said it then must be the copper cylinder coil & fitted a new cylinder. Problem still there & he asked us what it could be. When we asked what other work he had got done prior to all this, he said a new monobloc mixer on a basin....
A check valve on the hot pipe to tap would solve this obviously.
I came across a job that the people were threatening to sue the idiot plumber for charging a lot of money 4 times to repair a ballvalve on cwt. I went to it & saw a haze of warm water entering the cwts at cyl feed. 2 new taps had been fitted previously by same plumber - a deck mixer in garage & a monobloc on kitchen sink. I turned hot supply off & disconnected hot pipe at sink monobloc & mains water was coming out of hot tail. New mixer sorted it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to permanently dripping overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and E tank. The ball valve has been checked and is working ok. The vent pipe from the hot water cylinder is not venting any water into the tank, and the...
Replies
Views
Hot water constantly dripping out overflow pipe. Changed mixer shower. Hot off cylinder via pump cold through mains with pev fitted. Pump fuse spurred to immersion socket. Customer thought it was constantly heating but still drips when off. Any ideas? Could water be backflowing from pev and up...
Replies
Views
J
I can't get a consensus on this from four plumbers that have visited. We've been using the system with no prpblems for 7 years - but the cylinder leaks and needs replacing. It's an old and peculiar set up I have onherited after buting my two storey house. I would greatly appreciate any...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached one of the photos when I found out the cistern overflowing above the overflow pipe) and one other pipe that has a small drops coming out of it that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock