Search the forum,

Discuss Perfect Plumbing Van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice. A lot of lighting in it bet aircraft try to land on it when the doors open.

ok this is sad but... Does it still smell like fresh ply in the back? Like that new van smell you get when you rack it all out

Not anymore mate, I've changed things around a but since I took these photos, but I have kept everything inside pristine.

I am having the sign writing done soon, just haven't got around to it. There's a little bump it picked up on the back door (taking a triple ladder off the rack) so I have booked it in to get rid of that before it's sign written. I want it looking perfect.

I will try and stick with VW's if I can now. I'm probably going to 5 year lease the next one, as I have heard good things about leasing.

Did you rack it out yourself? Its very impressive, much better than mine. I may have to copy yours haha.

No! Carpentry is not my strong point. I took it to a firm in Milton Keynes. Where for ÂŁ600 I got the full CNC cut racking installed, and the roof rack and the pipe carrier. In my opinion money well spent. I would have lost a couple of days doing it, plus the materials, and it wouldn't have looked as good.

Someone else on here asked me about them, and then he also used them.

5 years is a looooooong time though

I find 5 years goes by in a blink these days! It's scary actually. My daughter is 6 this year. Its gone by in a flash.

I could get a shorter lease, but I wouldn't want all the upheaval every 3 years.

Thanks Rob, I have found a bloke via Facebook, friend of a friend who's going to do it. I just need to get round to organising it.

No I was like that before I went to France:), plumbers were the best trade etc, but seeing the arrogance of the Brits has only served to enhance it

Puddle ,
I was an arrogant sod almost from the word go, being a London trained plumber we used to consider ourselves a cut above the rest
I have been lucky in the trade, and done just about all there is, apart from hospital work, right across the board, lab work with poly and glass wastes, and 4" soil stacks,, 4" lead pipe work, cast iron soil stacks, drains, water mains up to 12", 6" copper water and soil, PVC water mains up to 4", 150mm blue Poly water main with electro fusion, 63mm Poly gas main with electro fusion and hand, gas lamp heated saddle tapping tool, also worked on sludge main in a sewerage works, steel tube up to 4" once with a solid head die stock for 4" threading, worked mostly on large developments, but done a fair bit of house bashing as well, also had a time in the office as a junior design engineer, doing pen and ink drafting, with a bit of estimating and taking off from bills of quantities, plus a couple of spells in the Middle East
When I first went to France I thought that I would wipe the floor with these "peasants", but I am not ashamed to say they used me as the floor rag, at first. Example, I was sent to second fix a school, everything was there they said, bench, bottles, a few bends, and half a dozen "bar" of copper, no couplings, no tees, in a few places around the building there were a few stumps of copper tube sticking up out of the slab, ranging from a couple to more than half a dozen, it turned out that I had to make on site the manifolds and join them to the first fix tubing, this is normal in France, how many UK plumbers would know what to do??
In the time I have been in France, I have had to go back over work carried out by UK "trades persons" to rectify the work, a good half of it would not meet the Norms, and when the person is told this, the standard reply is, we have always done it like this in the UK, whilst you might soft solder all copper pipework, its hard solder for water, and silver solder for gas, ring mains are not allowed same as unswitched neutrals in the fuse board, or 13 amp socket outlets but the "English" still insist on them
Supermarkets somebody with two trolleys, no food but just booze, arguing with the girl on the till, in English, that last time he was allowed that amount of booze, or hearing them swear in front of the girl, because he did not get his way
Whilst its not all milk and honey over here, the trade training is better, a tradesman is a respected person in the community, the wages are lower than the UK, but you can live better than in the UK for what you get, there is not the compulsion to work all hours god gave you, "family comes first" I offered to work on a sunday to help get the job out on time, and was told nobody works 7 days a week full stop
I do reserve the right to defend my adopted country, which has given me the opportunity to retire early ( I retired 2 years late at 62 instead of 60 the norm for France), a better pension, no council tax bill because I am retired and don't have enough to pay the council tax, also we are below the income tax limit so no income tax to pay (between us we pick up from the state in the way of pensions the best part of 14000€ a year say £13000) health care
we pay about ÂŁ60 a month to cover us for the difference between what the state pay and what the medication cost, the state pays normally 70%, life saving drugs are 100% paid for by the state

Edit:: One thing I did forget to mention, is the fact that nobody can just pick up a set of tools and start work as a plumber, electrician, etc, they have to register with the authorities first and that means a week back at school, doing accounts, tax, vat returns, the law in relation to your work, after this is done you have to find an assurance that will accept you, for the mandatory 10 year assurance of your work
How does that grab you all you plumbers in the UK by law you must guarantee your new work for 10 years, repairs and renovations are for 2 years

Very interesting. You are Lucky to have had the opportunity to see how things run elsewhere in europe. I wish more of what you described was required here.

Worked in France down near rochelle for several years and you are supposed to be registered pity half the trades men don,t also time keeping terrible . Probably why most French people when they find good English trades man prefer to use them than there own country men.Back to vans the larger citreon,Peugeot and fiat are ford based ie running gear and engines usually several thousand pounds cheaper good van. Best van test drove Hyundai five year warranty servicing costs reasonable after sales excellent.

Okay, you're all wrong and blatantly know nothing about what to look for in a perfect plumber's van.

This bloke, however, has got the whole problem nailed!

[video=youtube;ezt24cI-NJs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezt24cI-NJs[/video]

And yes, he's a real plumber. ;)

Like to see him carry a 3m length of pipe. Or better still a bundle of it. Ha.

Like to see him carry a 3m length of pipe. Or better still a bundle of it. Ha.

The french mainly use coiled copper or 2m lengths!!

also sizing is in both id and od
so you have 8/10, 10/12, 12/14,14/16, 20/22 and 26/28

Great because you can slide them into each other and braze them (not solder) instead of using reducers.

you can slide 12/14 into 14/16!

20140204_152320.jpg

She may not be super fancy, but she's my first company lettered van \o/

Nothing wrong with it fella, where's the other half of the roof rack though?

I like the cable ties on the hub caps!! Is that so they don't fly off or do you live in a rough area :p

Got to be better than mine at the mo!!

in the garage! fuel pump waiting for the news!!

Transit fuel pumps aint cheap apparently!! and I was just getting to really i mean really like that van too!!

Got to be better than mine at the mo!!

in the garage! fuel pump waiting for the news!!

Transit fuel pumps aint cheap apparently!! and I was just getting to really i mean really like that van too!!

What year is it

Y plate, 2001. so decisions may have to be made!! and he's talking Genuine parts! which is most unlike him!

ID happy? You do free quotes? That's just dragging the trade down. We all charge ÂŁ75 for a quote....

I've got a 53 plate vauxhall combo, that was used by the post office and then scuba diving in the UK (very cold and dark), so, I've got an excellent cd player with ipod attachments, upgraded speakers and (very essex) a 1000watt sub (not the underwater type)in the rear.

No room for plumbing stuff but it sounds good.

Seriously though, I wish it were slightly bigger, its already full.

I've a yellow robin reliant. It struggles with transporting baths, I've fitted a roof rack. Cheap as chips. It's yours for a good price. Does me proud son.

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbing-forum/"]plumbing forum[/DLMURL] category. This thread might not be a current topic, if it isn't, just let it drop off the list.

If you DO want to reply to it, go ahead, that's fine. Your post might add some value to the thread and help newer members in the future.

Last edited:
I'm just bumping this thread for no particular reason. If it isn't a current topic, don't worry about it, just ignore it and it'll move off the forum list before long. If it is a topic you'd like to reply to though, go ahead. :)

Don't mind me while I reply to a few of the threads. We need the new thread pages to be picked up correctly. If this thread isn't current, just visit the plumbing forum and post your own new thread or checkout the other existing threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Perfect Plumbing Van in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock