Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Passable work or bodge job!? in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Keith O'KEEFFE

Keith O'KEEFFE New Member

Hi, just trying to get an opinion on some plumbing the bathroom/kitchen fitter is in the process of fitting for our new sink, shower & rad.

First pic is cold supply coming in through the wall from the toilet next door. There are double joists right under the stud wall, hence coming in hidden in the wall. Not keen on the speedfit joint.

Second pic shows the spaghetti junction of the remaining pipes. Of most concern is the copper radiator return pipe with the speedfit joint sitting on top of the joist!

Haven't spoken to the guy yet and I think the pipe is just about covered once he fills in the case but surely that joint will stop him from sticking the floorboard back on as I think it'll be proud of the wall.

Any advice gratefully received! Especially if there's a different way he can route it. Need to know if this is passable or I need to get him to rectify.

Cheers!

IMG_20190211_191144.jpg

IMG_20190211_191132.jpg

2. king of pipes

king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

I think you know the answer very poor . Kop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It’s not the best but what can he do when the pipe comes in in Speedfit

4. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Fact is, any push fit joint under perm tension, as these are, is a weak joint. The manu specifically advises against it.

Personally I'd prefer copper under floor where there are inaccessible

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Keith O'KEEFFE

Cheers for the replies. If it came straight in through the wall in copper what would he be able to do different? The feed in the toilet is copper, then splits after feeding the toilet to plastic pipe and just pokes through the stud wall and into the wall in the bathroom as shown in the photo.

6. Riley

Well he could do a joint in copper in the wall which would be preferable. You say you don’t like the speedfit joint but do you know why??

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I would say he has done what he could without ripping all the plastic out and starting again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Keith O'KEEFFE

No reason other than it'll be buried in the wall.

Regarding all the joints under the floor, it's a tricky one and I'm no plumber but cold feed is coming in through the wall then needs to split to feed shower and then sink. Can't see how he'd do it any other way? Told me it's all Speedfit these days for stuff that's not visible. The hot feed comes in from the opposite end of the room, hence spaghetti junction in the middle!

9. Harvest Fields

It is only speedfit where not seen if it is the engineers preference mate. I run in copper myself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Keith O'KEEFFE

That's what I'm thinking. Hence me asking whether it's passable. Spoke to his boss and they said they'll push the radiator return pipe further into the wall to clear for the floorboards.

11. Harvest Fields

If the return pipe is the one resting on the joist. I wouldn’t push it further into the wall. I would move it so that it is inside the same notch that the speedfit is in. It is big enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Riley

That was all I meant you don’t want a plastic joint in the wall but if the incoming is plastic you have little option

13. Keith O'KEEFFE

Yes it is. So where the copper drops down from the left hand radiator valve, instead of turning right, just drop further down and follow the joist to the notch in the joist with the other speedfit. Should I tell him to change the cold feed in the wall from plastic to copper and weld the joint? Is a push fit joint in the wall a massive no no? Thanks for the help so far, hugely appreciated

14. Riley

You shouldn’t have any mechanical joints in a wall

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Harvest Fields

Yes and yes. But not sure how much of an extra cost it may be to change the cold feed.