Search the forum,

Discuss Parts for a Firebird Super-Q 50/90 :-) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Yes, this is an old boiler, and is due to be replaced next year when an extension is being built and the boiler will be relocated in to there. Meanwhile it's running well :)

Except there's been a few occasions when the water has kettled, gurgled and seemingly 'boiled' - the ball float in the F&E tank was found collapsed...

Plumber came out, suspected the boiler thermostat and then almost passed out when he realised the age of the boiler; he reckoned it would be hard to get parts for these.

Firebird's own website has this message:

"TBB & AAM REPLACEMENT THERMOSTATS FOR 1984 TO 2003 SUPER Q BOILERSARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE

Unfortunately, Firebird can no longer provide replacement TBB and AAM limit thermostats for the Super Q Boilers (1984 to 2003 manufacturer dates).

The manufacturer of the thermostat closed this factory in 2008. Firebird bought a huge stock of the thermostats for the spare parts in 2008, but these are now all gone. We have been unable to find a suitable alternative thermostat or solution."

( Firebird )

but I don't know which thermostats this refers to.

Can anyone tell me if suitable replacement 'stats have been sourced - eg from another model with some tweaking? Does anyone know if the main control thermostat is available?

If the boiler is literally boiling, would this suggest that the control 'stat AND the 'overheat' 'stat have BOTH failed?

Thanks for any help.

If the boiler is overheating the water inside the heating system, then the control stat will be faulty. The limit stat is also perhaps faulty if boiler is not cutting off if system water is near boiling.
Often oil boilers have an undetected faulty control stat and boiler is working on the limit stat.
You should be able to get a new control stat to fit that boiler. The size of probe part must be compatible with the pocket it fits into. The stat needs to fit the original knob, or a different type and it could all be modified on the casing, assuming it has a white casing.
Some smaller oil parts companies might actually have lots of stock of boiler stats and if your stat was removed it could be compared. They might be more expert than just a big plumbing merchant. Depends what region you live. It could be expensive to have a plumber do that though.
I would first check if water is actually getting too hot in radiators and also if system feed pipe is not blocked. Note that if you have any plastic pipework or plastic fittings in your heating system, - they will be destroyed with severe heat.
If you buy a new oil boiler in the future, try Grant Vortex in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hi Best.

Many thanks for that really helpful post (and for Shaun for pointing you here :) )

I'll suggest to my bro he tries to get a plumber who's willing to measure up the existing one and then he - or my bro - can start searching.

I would be astonished if there wasn't a suitable replacement out there as these are surely bound to be a common part amongst other makes too - fingers crossed. Sadly I'm nowhere near the boiler myself so cannot have a look or take measurements.

Many thanks, too, for the recommendation of a replacement make of boiler.

The stats can vary greatly in design.
Obviously the probe part is critical to be right size to fit in boiler pocket. But other differences can be the control shaft type - size for knob and how it turns relative to the stats body position in boiler panel.
Also some stats fix to boiler panel with a couple of bolts, while others have a thread at base of shaft and use a single nut and washer, perhaps with 2 lugs to lock stat body into position at holes in the boiler casing.
So very variable and good idea to have stat removed to compare.

Thanks.

Yes, I've been looking at what's available, and the fitting points you mention make sense.

Darn - I wish I was where the boiler is for a look-see. My bro has already had a plumber out, but he seemed reluctant to try and source an alternative himself.

If I can't find the dims of the old one on the 'net, then bro will just have to find a more willing plumber :)

Thanks again.

I've seen external stats that are held onto the tank with a stainless steel strap. Should do as a substitute.

Thanks Davey. Sounds like a good 'last resort' if needed.

The original 'stat is this one:
images.jpg

which shows a short, relatively wide phial, and a panel fixing that uses a nut - tho' that part can always be easily modified on a replacement.

I've come across this Worcester oil boiler item 87161076210 which looks similar but can't confirm if it is:
s-l500.jpg

Once my bro can get a plumber to remove and measure the old one, I should know.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Parts for a Firebird Super-Q 50/90 :-) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock