Search the forum,

Discuss Part p electrical course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketmanbkk

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi Friends

Got 2 jobs to do Thursday, slowly slowly!!

anyway, has anyone done or can anyone recommend a part p electrical course?

looking to do one but hopefully will receive some advice.

thanks all

Rocket

whats your level of experience with electrics , me i hated them never done them so did course last year and learnt loads now feel more comfortable doing my own

Little, same as you, I'd rather leave it but think I should add to my skill set.

i did the BSE 2000 Plumbing last year at college and at the end did a but if electrical. I found it hard as it was completely new to me.

i think I need to do it.

if thats the case id add it to , think of it as another string to your bow

speak to our forum sponsor ray stafford if your down south

Last edited by a moderator:
so do you think part p can be learned even if you only know little about electrics? I have done bits and bobs around the house like adding a spur, moving a light switch, and changing to two way. But, as soon as it goes from 2 way to 3 way and that, it is out of my league. I really would like to learn more

so do you think part p can be learned even if you only know little about electrics? I have done bits and bobs around the house like adding a spur, moving a light switch, and changing to two way. But, as soon as it goes from 2 way to 3 way and that, it is out of my league. I really would like to learn more

Me too

Think I want to do it. No idea of decent providers. Internet is the usual, loads of adverts!

In my experience a part p course won't teach you anything.

Realistically you should consider going to college IMO.

Surely it'll teach you something? Especially if I am a novice.

college is out for me, need to try to get business rolling.

cheers

Rocket

I did part P when it first came out, it really is more for testing and certification than anything else, and you need a better than basic knowledge of electrics, I already had a better than average knowledge having an uncle and 2 cousins who were senior norweb lads, and starting life off in engineering where it was part of the training along with pipe fitting.
if you have no idea I would certainly try night school at first just to get your head around the basics.
you also have to spend quite a bit of money on test equipment, and then join a 'club' to self certificate,

what ?? doing your electrical work and unqualified !! tut tut mut

It will teach you less about electrics than ACS teach you about gas. A bit of regulations, a bit of how to use a ÂŁ500 electrical tester (that you must have) and the usual watch a few videos. Very little practical anything.
After April you won't be able to join a competent persons scheme (at the cost of around ÂŁ400/yr) without doing the full NVQ3.

well then that is not for me. i wanted a course that would teach me a little. So, the search goes on. shame really.

we had to do course when we did the scottish goverment heating programe bit of a head spin to be honest it is only to certi job and up here its now not reconised by the goverment who makes us do it lol was a nice buffet tho lol

To all persons thinking about doing a Part P, hold your horses the word on the street is that Part P of the building regs will change later on this year & may have implications as to what work you can & can't do, the centre I go to has stopped offering it until they know what is happening (don't want to take money off of people only to find in a couple of months it was a waste of time & money).
I always understood that to be able to make the most of a part p defined scope a plumber / heating engineer had to be able to wire up an S & Y plan, If you cant do that why not try the Honeywell one day course or there is a BPEC essential electric's course which will get you going first.
beware as Tamz has posted to do the part p self certification you will need the full electrical test kit & be able to use it !!!!

This is what is happening down your way Chris

[DLMURL="http://professional-electrician.com/news/napits-view-part-p-changes"]NAPIT's view on Part P changes | Professional Electrician & Installer[/DLMURL]
[DLMURL="http://professional-electrician.com/opinion/explaining-changes-part-p-competent-person-scheme"]Explaining the changes to Part P Competent Person Scheme | Professional Electrician & Installer[/DLMURL]

and a copy of the new part P 2013
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tamz & thanks for the links. :clap:
Could not see anything on the defined scope (B), do you know what is happening on that front ? that's all I have (& want), I am not after moving the consumer unit but it would be nice to be able to self cert a power supply to a newly installed boiler in the kitchen !!!

As far as i understand Chris there is no need to notify work in a kitchen anymore.
Wales is continuing as before and we don't care up here as it doesn't effect us :lol:

All posts have helped me a lot.

so, is it better to do a Bpec electric course then and then maybe a Honeywell course?

i do t really want to do a lo g college course in electrics.

Thanks

From what I can make out, notification requirements for outside and kitchens are changing slightly. Ie there is no need to notify if you are not changing the characteristics of the circuit. Basically things like replacing a socket front like for like or similar. Heating controls are all notifiable still as far as I'm aware, and a new circuit or alteration to an existing circuit ie taking a spur off a ring final etc would still be notifiable.

The problem comes from being able to join a cps after April. If you need a level 3 nvq then part p full or defined will not enable you to join, neither will 17th edition or even 2391 test and inspection!

I'm debating whether its worth coughing up for a cps now and paying for it even though I will rarely use it, or completing the nvq 3 course and holding on to my scheme money until required.

As for part P courses, you'll pass it but you might not learn everything you should in such a short course. As already you might be better off with a basic electrics course to get you going, if your keen then start reading up on line (electriciansforum is good if you can take some banter/abuse from the time served) and hold on to your part p money for a minute.

Last edited:
Definatly a gap in the market for an 'electrics for plumbers' course. Everything from wiring in a new stat thru Y & S plans to pulling in a new feed for electric showers. I'd be on it like a tramp on a kipper if such a course existed!

best bit about college was wiring up s and y plans only to find out we couldnt or shouldnt, but having gone in behind sparkies, we may do!

best bit about college was wiring up s and y plans only to find out we couldnt or shouldnt, but having gone in behind sparkies, we may do!
I really enjoyed the fault finding using the Honeywell boards in college.

This is what i'm getting at, we need a recognised qual that would legitamize us wiring our own installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part p electrical course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock