Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow Pipe For Condensate Discharge! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Went to a leaking Worcester Greenstar Heatslave, upstairs and stained the ceiling below.

Going in thought I knew exactly what it was, leaking brass Sika flow switch. Bingo, pithing out, new washers and tighten up.

Then I heard drip drip drip. Condensate pipe in back corner. Soon as I touched it the elbow split clean in two.
Luckily enough pipe to cut back and get a new elbow on.

Is it just me or is anybody else finding more and more leaks on condensate pipework?

Went to a leaking Worcester Greenstar Heatslave, upstairs and stained the ceiling below.

Going in thought I knew exactly what it was, leaking brass Sika flow switch. Bingo, pithing out, new washers and tighten up.

Then I heard drip drip drip. Condensate pipe in back corner. Soon as I touched it the elbow split clean in two.
Luckily enough pipe to cut back and get a new elbow on.

Is it just me or is anybody else finding more and more leaks on condensate pipework?
I th8nk over time the condensate causes the seal to fail. In most cases it will be the solvent cement. I have seen so many fail and I highly doubt that most of them don’t know how to use the solvent cement.

Yep condy pipe isn’t that good can’t deal with the acidic

Go on enlightened me, can't use copper or plastic then?
Can't see how the solvent weld cement is to blame as it fusion welds and how simple is it to use.

Go on enlightened me, can't use copper or plastic then?
Can't see how the solvent weld cement is to blame as it fusion welds and how simple is it to use.
Fusion weld? Isn’t fusion welding a different type of connecting pipes? However, I mean, I have seen so many times the condenser pipes fail and basically the joints come apart. I don’t want to argue but to me it seems that is due to the acid... I cannot see any other reason for it to fail unless you don’t know how to use glue.

Part of the problem could be that the condense pipework is just seen as less important and just thrown in, often at last minutes of boiler install.

I notice any condense pipe that are push fit 21mm seem to leak slightly at joints (evident only by a dirty stain around the joints)
I now only use solvent weld 21mm pipe

If it's anything like overflows on toilets I think as Best says it's seen as not important and thrown in, not that unusual to not see any glue used at all on some joints I've found.

Fusion weld? Isn’t fusion welding a different type of connecting pipes?

"Because this fusion occurs at the molecular level, when the solvent evaporates, the joint actually becomes one uniform piece."

Taken from here - What Is Solvent Cement and Why Is It Used for CPVC Piping Systems?

It's quite an interesting read for us plumbers! Most normal people would probably be as bored as sin reading it but I thought it was good.

I believe that this process is relevant for all the types of PVC piping.

Personally I have never seen a problem with a coni pipe , however I have heard this a few times now and think it is potentially another check to do on a service .

Better than the "You touched it last" phone call I guess. :eek:

I once had an old lady call me up the day after a boiler service and tell me that her TV wasn't working properly since I serviced her oil boiler. I went back because she was nearly blind (she listened to the TV for company) and a nice lady and found her cleaners must have knocked the aerial out the back of the TV. Even after I told her, she was insisting that I must have done something to cause it but she was still very grateful I went back at least!

Reply to Overflow Pipe For Condensate Discharge! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock