Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow into soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Poynton Plumber

hi,
i want to run an overflow into a soil pipe.
is there a 3/4" strap on boss, or would i need to use an adaptor to go into a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 boss?

use the standard boss strap with an adaptor... most plumbers merchants would have these adaptors in stock..

Hi Poynton Plumber,

You can as suggested get a strap on boss to go straight in with 3/4 .. you will of course need to trap the overflow this can be done with 90 deg elbows to give a min 40mm water seal .. .

One question ... how will you know when whatever the overflow is for is actually overflowing and needs attention???

regards
TGor

Hi all,

thanks for your responses. i realised just as i hit the send button that i would need some sort of trap arrangement, and that if it was overflowing, my client would'n know about it.
at the moment the over flow just goes through the wall and flows out onto the garage floor, which is not the best arrangement. so i'm just going to fit an elbow and run it along the garage wall to the outside world.

once again thanks for you responses

Sounds a good idea but been done before. The thing is overflow pipes are better called by their old name of "warning pipe" it makes you remember what they are supposed to do.

Anyway back to the trapped overflow. We would get a 42mm x 22mm reducer and fit it upside down on the trap inlet side and then simply discharge the overflow into the reducer at such a height any discharge can be seen. Just hope the soil pipe doesn't get blocked. Anyway this tun dish method was often used on long runs of wc's in commercial buildings. So its a recognised way of doing things, except it was used to combine overflows and take them out as one pipe at the same time you coudl tell by looking in the tun dish which one was overflowing. In point they do sell overflow tun dishes specifically for the job you want to do. But the catch is cost.:)

You can buy clear tundish`s with a non return valve in, so you can check if it is letting bye but stops any back flow.

You can buy from any good plumbers merchants.

Peter

Quick question,

Overflow n trap, trap will only work when there is water in it, I would expect that if the water evaporates in the trap you wont have a trap maybe put a "hep vo" trap in line?
If the overflow runs all the time maybe the problem needs solving in the first place?

consult your water authority,why not use wc sypon with internal overflow ,the purpose of an overflow is to draw your attension to the fact that the ball valve is not shuting off and you are wasting water,thats why it must be visable

All overflows have to be installed to the water bylaws
run in to soil stack is a no no. All the smells coming in from the stack..

you can get a fitting to connect to the syphon .you drill a hole on the side then clamp the fitting one , or stick a Spanish syphon in then the water can flow in the pan.

think of the planet and the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overflow into soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock