Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow dripping after water meter fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

At my request, my water company installed a water meter yesterday. The company said it did not need to access the property, so the installation was carried out while I was at work.
When I returned home, there was an air-lock in the pipes, so I ran the water from each tap for a minute or so to clear it.
I went out for the evening, and when I returned at about 10.30pm there was a large pool of water on the doorstep, and I noticed that the overflow was dripping.
This continued this morning. Is this normal? Will it clear up? And given that there was no problem before the meter was installed, is the water company liable?

Could be just coincidence but if they didn't need access to the property I'm guessing the water meter was fitted at the boundary stop tap, so they could have easily got dirt into the system which could be stopping your ball valve seating properly. Holding them responsible and proving it will be difficult though.

It might gradually break down and work its way through the ball valve but the likelihood is you will probably need either a new ball valve or a plumber to flush out the existing one

It might gradually break down and work its way through the ball valve but the likelihood is you will probably need either a new ball valve or a plumber to flush out the existing one
Thanks for your help, much appreciated. The service provided by my water company has been a disaster from start to finish.

Well unfortunately they can’t really be held responsible for a bit of muck getting into the water pipe. There are bits of grit and allsorts that work themselves into the system occasionally it could have happened at a later date it’s just sods law that it happened when they did the meter for you

Well unfortunately they can’t really be held responsible for a bit of muck getting into the water pipe. There are bits of grit and allsorts that work themselves into the system occasionally it could have happened at a later date it’s just sods law that it happened when they did the meter for you

Actually they can. I'd give em a call and they'll prob resolve it for you.

At my request, my water company installed a water meter yesterday. The company said it did not need to access the property, so the installation was carried out while I was at work.
When I returned home, there was an air-lock in the pipes, so I ran the water from each tap for a minute or so to clear it.
I went out for the evening, and when I returned at about 10.30pm there was a large pool of water on the doorstep, and I noticed that the overflow was dripping.
This continued this morning. Is this normal? Will it clear up? And given that there was no problem before the meter was installed, is the water company liable?
Do you know, I once left a bit of swarf in my pipe and it got into a ballvalve and stopped it sealing. It can happen. The shard of copper would be evidence enough.

Reply to Overflow dripping after water meter fitted in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock