Search the forum,

Discuss Other trades rates 2(?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric2013

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So, as I'm sorting out things like skirting boards at home, I thought I'd let the Everest rep quote on a new front door as the old PVC one has mostly had it.

In excess of £3000 for a timber one.
£1600 for a composite one.

Since door is on a porch and there is no tangible benefit in it being thermally efficient (exempt from most building regs according to local council), I had figured:
£200 materials
£300 labour to build the door
£200 labour to fit
comes to £700.

To be frank, that's probably generous, seeing as I know a carpenter who could line a door frame and hang 8 internal doors a day.

But I can fairly say I have now explored that option. Yet some people must pay it. Puts the cost of a bathroom or heating system into perspective...

Everest are expensive we had a quote for 3section window and a solid or stable door (back door) £4500.00. Used a fairly local firm same make of door replaced cost us £800.00 window cost us£600.00 obviously you don’t get the guarantee but I think the money not wasted on Everest makes up for it

I can't help thinking on what a friend told me, 'If the product is good, the guarantee is not needed'. (Not exactly what he said, but that's what I took from the conversation anyway).

Also surprised me how much a front door and fitting costs. But you should be able to have a top quality composite reinforced door (of your choice of colour and with wood grain effect) including a fancy glass top panel for not much over £1000 supplied and installed. More if the door will have side panel(s).

All I can think is that, had I gone for the expensive version (or either door, actually, it might be very secure, but it would also have been the most valuable thing in the house :)

Also surprised me how much a front door and fitting costs. But you should be able to have a top quality composite reinforced door (of your choice of colour and with wood grain effect) including a fancy glass top panel for not much over £1000 supplied and installed. More if the door will have side panel(s).
I had one a couple of years ago and it was £880 fitted and they did a great job.

I had one a couple of years ago and it was £880 fitted and they did a great job.

Good price! Probably wasn't large profit for the installer, but no doubt the doors aren't as expensive as some companies try to tell us.

Good price! Probably wasn't large profit for the installer, but no doubt the doors aren't as expensive as some companies try to tell us.
it was a local company. I asked customers who I noticed had new doors and looked a good job and they were all from the same local company. support local, support small companies.

it was a local company. I asked customers who I noticed had new doors and looked a good job and they were all from the same local company. support local, support small companies.

Definitely small local companies can be the best.
Often more honest, more personal service and cheaper than the fancy big companies who employ anybody and have large overheads. Same often applies to our trade.
I know of car mechanics who you would think looking at their premises that, although clean and tidy, were a bit small and outdated. But they are honest, really good at their job and not expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Other trades rates 2(?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock