Search the forum,

Discuss Operating Pressure at meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did yo uever resolve the pressure problem, Sounds like you had either a faulty regulator or a incorrectly sized incoming/blocked incoming supply.

Oh all of you TRANSCO don't exist anymore! It's either National Grid Gas, Southern Gas networks or one of the other national gas emergency service provider. Saying TRANSCO now is like me telling a customer to get a Corgi Fitter instead of a gas safe registered one.

Even on an old distribution system the pressure in the gas main would be aronud 24-26mb in the summer and around 30mb in the peak winter demand, so i was told by an engineer and from my experience working on the gas mains. Safe operation of gas appliances is essential although they don't have to gaurentee 20mb at the meter what use would ther gas company be if we couldn't use gas appliances safely.

And yes some people out there do need to revise the regs, 8mb drop on a U6/G4 i think not!! an E6 yes only if there is existing pipework and appliances attached and no smell of gas. An E6 has a 4mb permissable drop but only if there is no smell of gas and the pipework is old/existing with appliances attached. Obviouly all new pipework there is no permissable loss of pressure.

interesting and quite funny thread, how have I never came across this one before ? Did you get your problem sorted ?

Hi, yes i got the problem fixed by the gas suppliers after i dug my heels in, and i agree with what you say about permissible pressure loss and dont think i said any different to that on any earlier posts, what i would like to know though if gas supplier can not guarantee you 21mbar at meter what chance have we of fitting appliances safely?
Did yo uever resolve the pressure problem, Sounds like you had either a faulty regulator or a incorrectly sized incoming/blocked incoming supply.

Oh all of you TRANSCO don't exist anymore! It's either National Grid Gas, Southern Gas networks or one of the other national gas emergency service provider. Saying TRANSCO now is like me telling a customer to get a Corgi Fitter instead of a gas safe registered one.

Even on an old distribution system the pressure in the gas main would be aronud 24-26mb in the summer and around 30mb in the peak winter demand, so i was told by an engineer and from my experience working on the gas mains. Safe operation of gas appliances is essential although they don't have to gaurentee 20mb at the meter what use would ther gas company be if we couldn't use gas appliances safely.

And yes some people out there do need to revise the regs, 8mb drop on a U6/G4 i think not!! an E6 yes only if there is existing pipework and appliances attached and no smell of gas. An E6 has a 4mb permissable drop but only if there is no smell of gas and the pipework is old/existing with appliances attached. Obviouly all new pipework there is no permissable loss of pressure.

reading those four pages was like watching a bad film, but you carry on watching to see how it ends, i think the moral of the story here is-

1-know what you are talking about before giving advise

2- RTFQ......................(READ THE F**KING QUESTION!!!!).......................................simples!

My guess is that stuartmac has run for the hills. I hope he did, he was baking my head.

what i would like to know though if gas supplier can not guarantee you 21mbar at meter what chance have we of fitting appliances safely?
Appliances are built to work safely within a tolerance hence when something is more than a 1mb drop it is only ncs.

Think this one through.
The gas supplier only needs to guarantee you 12mb at the inlet (it will never happen) but the usual minimum is 19mb.
If the meter is near capacity (6m³/hr) then there can be a 4mb absobtion across the meter, 1mb drop on the pipework. 1½mb across the gas valve so at 19 supply your boiler is getting 13½mb
Do the math at 12mb supply:confused:

About 6 month ago i did a boiler swap, worcs 30si fitted under the stairs, 2m from the meter.
Fired it up and was tidying the place up, heating bouncing, had run the hw but not checked flow rates but it seemed fine. Filling out the paperwork and doing the checks, 5mb at the boiler 6 at the meter:confused:
Rung SGN and turned out it was water in the service but the point is, it was working fine.

Zpgv:eek:

Had some bad floods round here a couple of years ago,followed by a spate of gas mains full of water.How water gets into the mains,I have no idea!We had quite a few gas meters with water in them,somehow.

You get water in an old the cast iron and steel system because of corrosion, simple fact is when you get a hole in the gas pipe water will eventually get into the mains, If there is enough water in the ground it will eventually fill the main or service. And as gas is consumed it gets pulled into the meter etc where it will pool and in severe cases make it to the appliances. On old cast main and services there are sometimes syphons to extract the water from.

It can be a real pain in the backside to find the source sometimes.

A broken water main will simpley burst a hole through gas main if they are laid close enough and fill it with water cutting of whole streets, that's a major headache.:p

There have been 2 cases of that in Edinburgh in the past few years. The water even made it up into 2nd floor meters.

I have made the genuine mistake before about replying to posts without reading the OP carefully and ended up making a howlin C of myself although not as bad as this i hope

just read this post through and yes people should read the questions , and should ensure they give the correct info, now with all that said and done did you do a pressure test and blah blah blah

Hi i am the poor bloke who started this post i thought stuartmac was trying to help, but soon realised he had no idea what he was talking about, if he is gas safe registerd then i am sorry we have some problems in our industry, the thought of him going to my daughters house to do some gas work doesnt bear thinking about, i dont know everything about gas and its a brave person who says he does, but would like to think i have enough knowledge to be safe, cant say that about the guy i have mentioned, maybe he has changed careers?

thanks for this post, its great, just a few more questions S Mac said to ask,

1 - did you check the ofalator switch?
2 - did you check the operating pressure whilst standing up? coz thats the standing pressure
3 - did you check the cooker? should take 2 minutes to warm up beans, after 1 minute temp stabilisation obviously, its in jamie olivers corgi book, i suggest you read it
4- if you dont have enough pressure, you probably havnt pumped it up enough

disclaimer, i dont advise this, obviously, just joking

thanks for this post, its great, just a few more questions S Mac said to ask,

1 - did you check the ofalator switch?
2 - did you check the operating pressure whilst standing up? coz thats the standing pressure
3 - did you check the cooker? should take 2 minutes to warm up beans, after 1 minute temp stabilisation obviously, its in jamie olivers corgi book, i suggest you read it
4- if you dont have enough pressure, you probably havnt pumped it up enough

disclaimer, i dont advise this, obviously, just joking

Actually crying with laughter.

ROFL Great post to read on dull sunday night. /stuartmac coming to town near you........ Its scary really.

Have you tried checking the working pressure at the meter with another appliance say the boiler running? Is it still 16mb?, if so you are correct the governer is playing up OR there could be a blockage in the street which is restricting the amount of gas available to the meter.
In my experience National Grid have always changed the governer when I have come across this problem.

Hi i am the poor bloke who started this post i thought stuartmac was trying to help, but soon realised he had no idea what he was talking about, if he is gas safe registerd then i am sorry we have some problems in our industry, the thought of him going to my daughters house to do some gas work doesnt bear thinking about, i dont know everything about gas and its a brave person who says he does, but would like to think i have enough knowledge to be safe, cant say that about the guy i have mentioned, maybe he has changed careers?

or maybe he is one of the experts who has been doing the job for 20 years

Relatively new to the forum, can't believe how much fun it is reading these posts. Stuartmac…LEGEND!

Frank you from Tunbridge Wells!? That's my patch too mate! May have seen you in the merchants, which one do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Operating Pressure at meter in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock