Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Open sanitary pipework in my kitchen causing flooding due to blockage in drains in the Plumbing Forum area at

  1. Dave Gething

    Dave Gething New Member

    Hi all,

    forgive me if I'm getting my terminology wrong but I'm not a plumber & I'm having a nightmare here.

    I have an open connection between my boiler overflow pipe & the main communal sink drain for my block. As in the connection between the two is not sealed.

    I know this now because we have a blockage in the main drains below the block & it's backing all the way up to my flat & spilling out of this open connection & on to my kitchen floor.

    I'm negotiating with the housing association to get drainage contractors out which is like pulling teeth but is it legal or even good practice to leave this kind of connection open?

    Would appreciate your opinions.

    Thanks, Dave
  2. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Any chance pic ?
  3. Dave Gething

    Dave Gething New Member

    Lots of pics Gimme a mo.
  4. Dave Gething

    Dave Gething New Member

    Think this is the clearest pic. 2 pipes. One from upstairs. Both into the same cup. No seal.

  5. ShaunCorbs

    ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    As long as both boilers are trapped it's perfectly fine
  6. Dave Gething

    Dave Gething New Member

    Ok. Thanks. I assume they will be. So this open cup here is the first point of exit for all the waste water backing up from the blockage down below. Hence I've been mopping up upstairs sink waste from my kitchen floor. I confess I'm a bit surprised that this is ok. I've had conflicting opinions from the contractors who've been out to try & deal w the blockage.
  7. Chalked

    Chalked Plumber GSR

    If it hadn’t have come out of there, it would have just found the next highest point and come out of there. ( a toilet pan ) .
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Dave Gething

    Dave Gething New Member

    Perils of living on the ground floor then.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chuck

    Chuck Well-Known Member

    Yes, but that doesn't make it acceptable for it to happen again. The cause of the blockage needs to be properly investigated by someone competent. If some clown has been flushing nappies, etc. they need to be educated. If the cause is drains that don't comply with building-regs they need to be fixed by the housing association

    Sewage overflowing back into a kitchen is probably something you can get your local council to weigh in on your side if the HA is reluctant to remedy.
  10. Ric2013

    Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

    If it happens often, the OP could do worse than have a HepvO or other one way valve put in as well as or instead of the existing P trap. Then the water would back up into a sink or washbasin, but at least s/he would have some element of warning before the water overflows.
  11. S.P.S.

    S.P.S. GSR

    If your on communal drainage, phone your water supplier ..

    They will generally deal with it, the bill, if any will lie with the buildings owner. Ensure you update the housing association with your findings/any planned work.

    If the blockage is just downstream on your part then you will prob have to front the bill.

    Eitherway speak to your water supplier first,
    they will advise best.
Similar Threads - Open sanitary pipework Forum Date
"Open" Backnut Spanner Plumbing Forum Saturday at 7:08 PM
Question about opentherm Central Heating Forum Jan 8, 2019