Search the forum,

Discuss Open Flue not supported in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi guys I capped if a gas meter today. Ideal Mexico boiler. Flue not clipped used metal banding and duct tape around all the flue joints. I also noticed condensation staining on the flue joints,sight glass cracked, gas pipe work too close to wall not sleeved or correct clips used there was a nail bend over touching gas pipe acting as a support.
I'm I right in doing what I've done.

That's how they did it duct tape and Banding

But as you say there's staining / joints looking roapy ar

Gas pipe sleeve and too close to the wall is ncs
Unless showing sign of destress

Sight glass is ar

Well I've capped it I didn't want too take the risk. With 2 items at risk do they not then became id? It is a landlords saftey check. Better being save than sorry.

I would of capped on just the flue if it's looking that ropey

Sight glass is ar
Definitely agree about the banding. Depends how it was done though, as there was a right way (from one beam tight around the flue to another beam) and a wrong way (from one beam around the flue and back to the same beam)

Sight glass is ar
Ncs doesn’t exist no more according to my academy.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you smoke test the flue and if it passed, then fit the missing brackets?

I am asking because I see a lot of boilers at the moment which have been condemned unnecessarily and It can be very unfair on the customer. I have not seen this one obviously and it may well be that you did the right thing. Just wondered why you didn't repair it?

Out of curiosity, why didn't you smoke test the flue and if it passed, then fit the missing brackets?

I am asking because I see a lot of boilers at the moment which have been condemned unnecessarily and It can be very unfair on the customer. I have not seen this one obviously and it may well be that you did the right thing. Just wondered why you didn't repair it?

I'm guessing as he saw the boiler missing the glass he thought no need as the boilers going off either way

I'm new to this so forgive me.. the banding was the wrong way plus with the metal touching metal will corrode the open flue. There was at the joints of flue staining from condensation. Open flue. In fact this was the first open flue boiler I've done a landlord saftey check. i never got round in doing a smoke test. I don't have anyone's in the company to ask for advice they just say do what you think as I'm the only one who is gas safe registered.

Well if it is possible to get new sight glass,probably doubtful then I would have still flue flow tested and ammended supports...even at a later date. But you are right in condemning it for the time being.

Well if it is possible to get new sight glass,probably doubtful then I would have still flue flow tested and ammended supports...even at a later date. But you are right in condemning it for the time being.
I always do a full LGSC or service before I leave. The last thing I want is to go back and find it is still AR or worse ID.

I'm guessing as he saw the boiler missing the glass he thought no need as the boilers going off either way
A cracked sight glass on an open flue Boiler is no big issue. If it was missing or had a hole in it I would agree it needed replacing but they are readily available and easy to swap anyway.

Last edited:
Well I've capped it I didn't want too take the risk. With 2 items at risk do they not then became id? It is a landlords saftey check. Better being save than sorry.

Except for the condensation, there is nothing there to warrant ID.
As said, banding was always the method used. AR (unless totally unstable)

Cracked glass on OF. Nothing. Even missing is no biggie on OF.

No requirement for CO alarm in England - but I am guessing you may be in Scotland? Inverness to be precise? :)

NCS does still exist, but must not be noted on a warning notice. I always advise on my (self designed & printed) Invoice/report sheet.

Poorly supported pipework - normally NCS

2 x NCS only equalled AR if both NCS were on flue - you did not add in other areas of concern. 2 x AR does not constitute ID.

"better be safe than sorry"; the problem with this approach, is that if the landlord suffers a financial loss due to your mis categorisation, then they could sue your boss. I certainly would if it was me, and the engineer blatantly overstepped his remit.

You capped the meter, nit the boiler? Presumably there are no other gas appliances in the home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Open Flue not supported in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock