Search the forum,

Discuss Old stopcock replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone. I've got to replace this stopcock as it's leaking and almost seized up. Am I likely to encounter any problems removing it and will a standard 15mm stopcock be ok as a replacement? The old lead pipe is just visible under the concrete. Thank you.

View attachment 20190322_124526.jpg

If your not an experienced plumber I would personally recommend fitting another stopcock above that one to avoid disturbing the lead.

The head part of stopcock looks fairly new.
You could open stockcock fully and scrape and clean the spindle and then unscrew the packing nut and clean rest of spindle that is presently hidden.
Then use silicone grease inside the packing and nip up the packing nut again

Be VERY careful with that , as long as you are turned off in the road you will be ok , do not force the nut off the lead

I'm weary of them. Had one shear off on me before with very little movement off the valve. Luckily I had a new external stopcock outside.

A pair of grips on the stopcock body, holding it the opposite direction to the packing nut slackens, or works, if removing it for new tap washer.

I would be very carefull here, it depends on your skill level
anyway
1. Find the outside stop,valve
and see what sort of end it has
some are tap ends and others are unique square ended ones
get the proper iron to do this
2.then see if it works,, spray wd 40 and have a go,,,if it really goes badly..you will get a gusher ...when the tap body comes out
3. I have had loads ...over the years..make sure you know your local utility phone number
if it goes bottom up
4. Then when ur sure all water is off
just haveca go undo things and take it apart. Then take bits to your local friendly proper plumbers merchant ..get the right bits and off you go
5. looks like you might need a lead lock IMHO

Centralheatking

The head part of stopcock looks fairly new.
You could open stockcock fully and scrape and clean the spindle and then unscrew the packing nut and clean rest of spindle that is presently hidden.
Then use silicone grease inside the packing and nip up the packing nut again

Thanks Best, that sounds like the course of action I'll be taking, the external stopcock is just outside the house. I didn't fancy messing with the lead joint especially with it being so close to ground level. Thanks everyone else.

anyway
2.then see if it works,, spray wd 40 and have a go,,,if it really goes badly..you will get a gusher ...when the tap body comes out
3. I have had loads ...over the years..make sure you know your local utility phone number
if it goes bottom up
just haveca go undo things and take it apart. Then take bits to your local friendly proper plumbers merchant ..get the right bits and off you go

Centralheatking
anyway
if it goes bottom up

Centralheatking

Cheers Rob, that will be plan B. I don't want a gusher though!

Cheers Rob, that will be plan B. I don't want a gusher though!
Do not worry about gushers
especially at weekends ..the utility boys get extra,,and will love you.. for the overtime....I had a bad spell one weekend
two in a row...2nd one closed half main A4 between Bath and Chippenham for all Saturday and Sunday ..traffic light etc
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Hello everyone. I've got to replace this stopcock as it's leaking and almost seized up. Am I likely to encounter any problems removing it and will a standard 15mm stopcock be ok as a replacement? The old lead pipe is just visible under the concrete. Thank you.

View attachment 37824

Take the guts out and bang the new one in. Turn off outside first though and support it while your doing it other wise it could get expensive, like digging up the floor expensive

Might be cheaper to pay someone to do it, 60 quid probably

If you damage your service, bear in mind that the water authorities now charge 500 plus vat just to repair. Don’t touch the lead unless your qualified because you run the risk of contamination of your water supply if you mess up. Sometimes it’s time to call a pro and your water service is one of them.

Last edited:

Reply to Old stopcock replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock